ProxMox VE and APC UPS PowerChute : gracefull shutdown of vm's

Petrus4

Feb 18, 2009
I am adding APC powerchute to my ProxMox VE 1.7 can anyone share with me configuring gracefull shutdown of all VM's and the environment in case of a power faillure?

If you gracefully shutdown Proxmox, it tries to gracefully shutdown the VM automatically.
a) you have to specify a "battery remaining time" long enough in the APC software setup (I use apcupsd that is Free software, present in Debian, but never used the model you have)
b) Windows VM have a LOT of problems in being shutted down by proxmox, see the long list of messages in this forum and/or the wiki (in short, you have to modify some settings of policy for M$Servers OS, but in any case you could have the automatic process interrupted if some user is logged. In this case, after a timeout period expired, Proxmox simply abruptly stops the VM, as far as I understand). VMWare has special "guest drivers/additions" that take care of this forced shutdown, but can't be used with Proxmox.

with powerschute biz edition you can monitor and configure multiple ups's. I am not familiar with apcupsd, will check it out.

Another thing that powerschute does is shut down different windows applications at set times, IIS, SQL, exchange as well as running a custom script at a user specified time.

Windows VM have a LOT of problems in being shutted down by proxmox,

Yeah, I have run into this problem even with all the "tweaks" enabled. I am wondering why the KVM project has not come up with windows drivers like the ones vmware has, do you know if they are working on such a project?

I may try the application listed in the forums I think it is one http://users.telenet.be/jbosman/applications.html used with this script to ensure graceful windows shutdown.

powerschute is proprietary software, I avoid 'non free software' like hell, sorry, can't trust it.
In any case, with apcupsd you can have a client-server config and monitor multiple ups as well.
I'm not aware of any KVM "guest addition" that can do what you (we) need in the unfortunate circumstance we have to virtualize M$-OSs.
Fortunatly, considering the fact that KVM is Free Software, everyone can contribute and/or support it's development.
Speaking generally (not of course against you or your question), OMHO Free software is not "gratis", "no price" software, instead everyone has the moral duty to give money/help to FOSS projects and should consider that, in any case, donating now will save a lot of money later (compared to proprietary software), and Free software gives you much more (freedom) than a comparable proprietary product.
So my idea is that would be nice if Proxmox people could manage one or more "bounty" projects where Proxmox (or other free software) users can promise (and anticipate) a certain amount of money for the completion of a specific project that is outside the roadmap of Proxmox team, like this one. Me (being just a hobbist employed in a SME where Proxmox and other FOSS is used with a moral attitude I don't agree with) could donate 100 euros.
Just an idea... :)

Reactions: Xeata_James
I am attempting to deploy pcns on a proxmox ve version 2.2-24 server and am having trouble finding the right installer. Was there anything special about the installation process and can you tell me what version you used?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!