Proxmox VE 8.1 don't boot, only boot when monitor attached

dalst

Mar 23, 2024
Hi Everyone,

I recently migrated from running TrueNAS Core Bare Metal to using Proxmox with a TrueNAS VM.

However, I encountered an issue: when booting without a monitor attached (as the server is located in my rack), Proxmox fails to boot, and don't get a network connectivity. Only after power resetting the server and attaching a display it boots without any problems.

To work around this problem, I've attached an HDMI dummy plug to my server, allowing it to boot even without a physical display. Interestingly, I faced a similar situation with an Intel NUC running Proxmox VE 8.0, where the solution was also to use an HDMI dummy plug. Prior to PVE 8.0 this problem wasn't present.

Do any of you have ideas on how to resolve this issue? Also, it's worth mentioning that before migrating to Proxmox, TrueNAS Core ran smoothly without the need for a monitor or HDMI dummy plug.

Server Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
RAM: 64GB 3200
Mainboard; Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI
Boot Volume: ZFS Mirror over 2 128GB SATA SSDs
PVE Verison: 8.1.5
Kernel Version: Linux 6.5.13-3-pve

Could you try to change /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nomodeset"

Then run 'sudo update-grub'

And then try if that makes a difference?

I also encountered a similar problem with PVE 8.1.10.
However, I have solved the problem by adding nomodeset and also by uncommenting the GRUB_GFXMODE line.
There was no need for a ridiculous gadget called dummy plug.

I did not have this problem while Windows was running on the same hardware.
Also, as dalst says, this problem did not exist in previous versions.
This problem is often blamed on a hardware or BIOS, but it appears to be a problem that PVE 8.1.x or kernel it uses may have.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!