Proxmox VE 3.4 - passwd authentication token manipulation error

albans

May 7, 2015
Hi,
Whenever I want to define or change the password of a user through SSH on Proxmox VE 3.4, I get the following error without being prompted for the new password.
How to manage passwords of users through ssh??
I tried also to execute pwconv, it didn't solve the issue.
Thx for your help.

proxmox# passwd user
passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
passwd: password unchanged

Take a look at /var/log/auth.log maybe your PAM config is messed up. It also could be your /etc/shadow file, run
Code:
pwconv
to regenerate it (back up /etc/shadow first, shouldn't be risky but you never know). (Manpage)

I suppose that your root filesystem is not mounted as read-only...^^

If nothing helps, please post the error result from
Code:
strace passwd user

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx for your answer.
So pwconv (and not pwconf) didn't solve the problem as mentionned in my first message.

I checked the /var/log/auth.log, and I've some errors:
Jul 16 21:35:16 vm passwd[424814]: pam_krb5(passwd:chauthtok): (user user1) krb5_parse_name failed: Configuration file does not specify default realm
Jul 16 21:35:16 vm passwd[424814]: pam_krb5(passwd:chauthtok): (user user1) krb5_parse_name failed: Configuration file does not specify default realm
Jul 16 21:35:16 vm passwd[424814]: pam_winbind(passwd:chauthtok): getting password (0x00000012)

strace passwd user1 gives me a lot of information...

But finally I know why it doesn't work: I'm trying to change the password of an AD user, and the host is linked to AD for Samba.
Nevertheless, for any type of account, even simple local users, it doesn't work.
It might be definitely linked to the AD authentification.

Any clue on how to solve this particular problem?
As it's not really linked to proxmox distribution finally.

Thx anyway for your help!

Sorry about that, I over read that with pwconv... (fixed the typo above).

password from normal user should be changeable with:
Code:
passwd -r files username

Duh, haven't really a clue here, maybe anyone else has...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!