[SOLVED] Proxmox uses GRUB instead of UEFI bootloader on UEFI compatible system

alirx

Oct 27, 2023
Greetings!
As far as I know disabling CSM should lead to installation in UEFI mode, yet I am still seeing GRUB during boot. What's weird, that efibootmgr -v reports that Proxmox were booted in UEFI mode.
Code:
root@atlantis:~# efibootmgr -v
BootCurrent: 000C
Timeout: 1 seconds
BootOrder: 000C,0001
Boot0001  proxmox       HD(2,GPT,06bbd6ca-6c11-4861-a01a-ded5b7d9751f,0x800,0x200000)/File(\EFI\PROXMOX\GRUBX64.EFI)
Boot000C* UEFI OS       HD(2,GPT,06bbd6ca-6c11-4861-a01a-ded5b7d9751f,0x800,0x200000)/File(\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI)..BO

I've tried to fix UEFI boot as in this guide on Proxmox forums, but no success.
Code:
root@atlantis:~# pve-efiboot-tool init /dev/sdc2
Re-executing '/usr/sbin/pve-efiboot-tool' in new private mount namespace..
UUID="5939-CAC3" SIZE="1073741824" FSTYPE="vfat" PARTTYPE="c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b" PKNAME="sdc" MOUNTPOINT="/boot/efi"
E: '/dev/sdc2' is mounted on '/boot/efi' - exiting.
root@atlantis:~# pve-efiboot-tool refresh
Running hook script 'proxmox-auto-removal'..
Running hook script 'zz-proxmox-boot'..
Re-executing '/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-proxmox-boot' in new private mount namespace..
No /etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids found, skipping ESP sync.

Initial thing I was trying to do was PCI-E passthrough, and methods of setting this up are different for UEFI and GRUB. I did UEFI-steps and there were no effect, which led me to this confusion. Also tried reinstalling Proxmox, got the same results.

Is that an intended behavior and should I bother fixing it or just roll with GRUB?

Hardware config:
Boot device: single SATA SSD, plugged into a motherboard​
CPU: Ryzen 5700X​
MoBo: Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4​
GPU: Gigabyte Arc A380​
SATA controller: ASM1166 (M2 to 6xSATA)​
NIC: Intel i-225v​
BIOS settings:
CSM (legacy) mode disabled, secure boot disabled, UEFI boot device set as 1st.​
Proxmox ISO: 8.0.2 from USB stick (burned with etcher).

Last edited:
As far as I know disabling CSM should lead to installation in UEFI mode, yet I am still seeing GRUB during boot. What's weird, that efibootmgr -v reports that Proxmox were booted in UEFI mode.
According to the Proxmox manual: "For EFI Systems installed with ZFS as the root filesystem systemd-boot is used. All other deployments use the standard grub bootloader".
If you did not install Proxmox on ZFS, it's normal that GRUB is used for booting in UEFI mode.

Reactions: nautilus7 and alirx

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!