Proxmox Upgrade from 7 to 8, ZFS import not working?

the1corrupted

Sep 30, 2023
Hi all,

My upgrade from Proxmox 7 to 8 has been a little fraught with issues. I have a lot of problems, and I really want to recover my environment if it's entirely possible.

Here's the situation:
I installed an upgraded network card on my Proxmox 7 server only to have it completely shut off all other network ports. HOORAY! Try as I might, I couldn't get a console working, an IP to go, or anything. So I looked into the upgrade to Proxmox 8 at that time since I was going to have to do a reconfiguration anyway.

THE PROBLEM: I missed the step where it said backups were to be placed on *external* storage. Oops.
MAYBE GOOD NEWS: I did not use "local" storage for any of my VMs. All the VM disks and data are on storage that was not affected by the wipe.

THE SCENARIO:
I tried updating a few of the files from my Proxmox 7 /etc backup (I backed up the whole directory before initiating the upgrade) however, after doing this it broke the bootup shell I was using. I have no idea what's doing this so I'm going to do another Proxmox 8 reinstall again.

I don't care how long it would take me, if I have to piece every single thing back together manually, I need to know how to do the following:

From the /etc backup, I see a backup of the VM configurations but when I imported them they have a bunch of question marks. This could be due to me using default setup/config settings to get through my first install of Proxmox 8 (First screen shot).

Should I create dummy VM's to take on all the disks, name them the same as before? As in, create VM, put everything in normal, but for TPM and EFI storage, and boot drive, find the previous disk images and attach them to the new VM?

The problems above were resolved by using the same hypervisor name during a fresh local install for Proxmox 8.0 and importing the old configuration files. I can see all my VMs with notes and their storage disks normally.

1. During installation/configuration, set the FQDN to the exact same FQDN as the previous instance of Proxmox. In my case it was hls-hypervisor.
  2. Configure the same IP layout as you had before
  3. As I did not use "local" or "lvm" storage for any of my VMs, this allowed for full recovery without any complications.
    1. I did not use an external drive for VM backup like a moron. Don't do this.
  4. Import from your ETC BACKUP the following:
    1. /etc/pve/nodes/hls-hypervisor/qemu-server/*.*
    2. /etc/pve/storage.cfg
    3. /etc/pve/user.cfg
  5. These configuration files will map the appropriate storage, and VMs with the hypervisor/host.
  6. Import your ZFS configuration and then you'll be done!

Two of the more important VMs booted successfully

I am having a problem importing my ZFS array from the old configuration. I SSH into the hypervisor and I get this for zfs import -f

Code:
root@hls-hypervisor:~# zpool import -f
   pool: hls-big-rust-0
     id: 5232864493660271858
  state: ONLINE
 action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier and
        the '-f' flag.
   see: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/msg/ZFS-8000-EY
 config:

hls-big-rust-0                         ONLINE
          raidz1-0                             ONLINE
            ata-ST12000NM001G-2MV103_ZS802WMN  ONLINE
            ata-ST12000NM001G-2MV103_ZS802WGM  ONLINE
            ata-ST12000NM001G-2MV103_ZL28R5BG  ONLINE

pool: hls-small-rust-0
     id: 15411729228109466542
  state: ONLINE
 action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier and
        the '-f' flag.
   see: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/msg/ZFS-8000-EY
 config:

hls-small-rust-0                             ONLINE
          raidz1-0                                   ONLINE
            ata-HGST_HUS724040ALE640_PK1334PBHGST8X  ONLINE
            ata-HGST_HUS724040ALE640_PK1334PAKS31JS  ONLINE
            ata-HITACHI_HUS724040ALE640_P4HEVU3C     ONLINE

HOWEVER, the import doesn't update on the web GUI and tells me to import the pool.

1696637787615.png

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!