Proxmox unable detect NVMe drive

arashi0987

Mar 4, 2024
Hey all,
I repurposed one of my windows machines into a proxmox box, but it never recognized the 512GB NVMe drive. And it doesn't seem to even be aware of the fact that the NVMe drive exists. lspci and lsblk return no mentions of any NVMe slot/drive, but the UEFI can see the NVMe, and I can even still boot windows off of it, so I know there shouldn't be anything wrong with it.

on startup, lsmod doesn't show anything for nvme, unless I manually run "modprobe nvme" which then adds these:
nvme 57344 0
nvme_core 200704 1 nvme
nvme_common 24576 1 nvme_core

but that doesn't seem to change the fact that lspci and lsblk don't detect anything.

I've looked around for some solutions and I haven't found anything that seems to make the NVMe detectable.

If anyone has an idea of what might be the issue, or wants more clarification let me know
Thanks

Hi,

did you use the current 8.1-2 installer ISO?
What's the exact model of the NVMe disk?
Can you run dmesg -H | grep -i nvme in the second TTY in the installer environment and see if that puts out anything?

You might be running into this issue, if it's a cheap drive: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4770

Hi,

did you use the current 8.1-2 installer ISO?
What's the exact model of the NVMe disk?
Can you run dmesg -H | grep -i nvme in the second TTY in the installer environment and see if that puts out anything?

You might be running into this issue, if it's a cheap drive: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4770
the dmesg output is: Found 1 remapped NVMe devices.
This might also be referring to my wifi card though, which is in the other nvme slot.

The drive is a 512GB Kioxia. I'm not sure if that would cause a problem but I'll take a look at that page thanks

Edit: I looked at the link, and it doesn't look like that's my exact problem, especially because I don't even have the drivers/nvme/host/pci.c file that they're referring to. That might be a problem in itself.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!