Proxmox storage

rodrigus

Jul 7, 2023
Hello person. Answer me a question. I have Proxmox installed on my server on a RAID 10 with 4 disks. I'm running out of space and want to increase storage. If I expand my RAID by adding 4 more disks to it, will Proxmox automatically notice this increase? It has a DELL server and would expand the RAID using the server's BIOS. Will Proxmox see this increase in RAID capacity when the process is complete? Or will I have to do any additional procedures on Proxmox?

You first have to add the new disks to your RAID controller and enlarge the virtual disk. Then you have to enlarge the partition in the OS and then adjust the LVM if necessary. In short, it won't increase in Proxmox on its own.

You first have to add the new disks to your RAID controller and enlarge the virtual disk. Then you have to enlarge the partition in the OS and then adjust the LVM if necessary. In short, it won't increase in Proxmox on its own.
I understood. Thanks. I'm thinking about creating a new RAID 10 through the server's BIOS. And adding this storage to Proxmox, will that work? I use BTRFS as a file system. Would I just have to create the file system with mkfs.btrs and mount it with mount, and then add the storage to Proxmox?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!