Proxmox server crashes after approx a day

matheeeew

Mar 26, 2024
Hey guys, I switched from ESXi to Proxmox about a week ago since I got another PSOD (happens about once every other month) but instead Proxmox freezes for me at around the 24h uptime mark. I posted this at r/pchelp as well, so I'm quoting from there:

"Hey guys, hope you're doing well. I have a server made out of spare PC parts that has been giving me issues the last week (posting it here since it basically is a computer and not a server per se). I previously ran ESXi on it with occasional PSODs (like once a month tops) but last weekend I changed OS to Proxmox and now it barely runs 24 hours before the system freezes (sometimes shorter, sometimes longer). The computer and all fans are still running, but the monitor only displays the Debian/Proxmox login page (where the cursor is no longer blinking).

Temperature is not an issue, I've placed it in a cold room to exclude this source of error.
The system:
MB: ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU FAN: Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 (installed last week as well, brand new, made no misstake when installing as far as I know)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (4 x 32GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800)
OS DISK: INTEL 530 Series SSDSC2BW240A4 240GB (OS disk running Proxmox, SMART Passed, 45% "wearout")
DISK: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVMe (VM Storage)
GPU: MSI GeForce GT 710 2GB 2GD3H LP
PSU: be Quiet! 400W
CASE: Chenbro RM24100
CASE FANS: 2x Noctua 80MM (going at 100% all the time)

First suspicion goes to memory leak, but I'm monitoring the server via PRTG and the graphs for memory usage looks normal before the crash. The syslog shows nothing that would indicate a pending system crash before the system freezes.

I'm honestly cluesless as to what is going on here, anyone know if there are any compability issues with these parts that I should be aware of? All tips or hint are greatly appreciated, thanks a lot in advance!"

Anyone have any idea what could be the issue here?

I resolved the issue with a new fresh install of Proxmox using another SSD drive and a new SATA cable.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!