proxmox running as a trial on a dedicated server

Michael_Strobel

Nov 2, 2016
Hello, i have Proxmox running on a dedicated server, the installation seems to have gone well, but now when creating a VM this is also okay when we only run live mode, but for some reason when we run an install and restart, the vm no longer boots... Any help in this would be much appreciated.
Michael.S

Hi,
what kind of OS do you install in the VM?

How look your storage and the VM-config? Post the output of following commands please:
Code:
cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/*.conf
pveversion -v
Udo

Hi udo,
I am trying to install Kali-linux 2.0 Debian based guest, on a dedicated server in a rack. The ISO media boots fine, but after install all i get is "booting from disk...." and hangs there forever. I then have to re-boot the host to shut down the VM because it wont let me do it from proxmox GUI or the VM.
I do not understand how there can be a problem. It is almost as if MBR is deleted once the VM re-boots after install.

Thanks for the response btw.

Last edited:
root@order46589:~# cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
dir: local
path /var/lib/vz
content iso,vztmpl,backup

lvmthin: local-lvm
thinpool data
vgname pve
content rootdir,images
root@order46589:~# cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/*.conf
agent: 1
bootdisk: scsi0
cores: 4
ide2: local:iso/kali-linux-2016.2-amd64.iso,media=cdrom
memory: 4300
name: Kali
net0: virtio=0E:B1:8E:24:58:63,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
ostype: l26
scsi0: local-lvm:vm-420-disk-1,size=32G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=ddddb86e-f771-46e4-94b4-2e005c28dc12
sockets: 1
root@order46589:~# pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 4.3-66 (running kernel: 4.4.19-1-pve)
pve-manager: 4.3-1 (running version: 4.3-1/e7cdc165)
pve-kernel-4.4.19-1-pve: 4.4.19-66
lvm2: 2.02.116-pve3
corosync-pve: 2.4.0-1
libqb0: 1.0-1
pve-cluster: 4.0-46
qemu-server: 4.0-88
pve-firmware: 1.1-9
libpve-common-perl: 4.0-73
libpve-access-control: 4.0-19
libpve-storage-perl: 4.0-61
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.8-1
vncterm: 1.2-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.6.1-6
pve-container: 1.0-75
pve-firewall: 2.0-29
pve-ha-manager: 1.0-35
ksm-control-daemon: 1.2-1
glusterfs-client: 3.5.2-2+deb8u2
lxc-pve: 2.0.4-1
lxcfs: 2.0.3-pve1
criu: 1.6.0-1
novnc-pve: 0.5-8
zfsutils: 0.6.5.7-pve10~bpo80
root@order46589:~#

Hi,
in case of kali-linux it's has to do with kali himself.
I have make the same experiences on more than one pve-host (different hardware).

With other distros the install will work ;-)

Udo

Is there any way around this? I have access to a VM running on a proxmox server, which claims to be running Kali-linux without much problem?
Maybe some template available, or the Kali mini ISO?
And could you offer some explanation as to why most Linux distros will work, and Windows should work. But in this case there is confict?
Thank you.

Udo,

I had the same problem and here's the solution I found. You need to add the "nomodeset" option. Check this out: http://askubuntu.com/questions/38780/how-do-i-set-nomodeset-after-ive-already-installed-ubuntu . It's pretty much the same for Ubuntu and Kali.

However, another problem that I have with Kali Linux Rolling (2016.2) is that, after performing apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade, my Proxmox (4.4-5/c43015a5) node randomly reboots for some reason but I can't figure out why.

Anyone have the same problem?

- Microidz

Udo,

I had the same problem and here's the solution I found. You need to add the "nomodeset" option. Check this out: http://askubuntu.com/questions/38780/how-do-i-set-nomodeset-after-ive-already-installed-ubuntu . It's pretty much the same for Ubuntu and Kali.

However, another problem that I have with Kali Linux Rolling (2016.2) is that, after performing apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade, my Proxmox (4.4-5/c43015a5) node randomly reboots for some reason but I can't figure out why.

Anyone have the same problem?

- Microidz

Hi, strangely enough, I've found for PVE it's easiest to just use a VMWare compatible display driver. The Default and VGA seem to have problems. This fixed any issue I had with the VM crashing after install (seemed like MBR problem at first, Jung hung on boot), I also had success in setting up the firewall and allocating IP addresses from a routable subnet.
The only downfall is that you will still need a good commercial grade router if you go commercial, because there's no way to do MAC-IP binding within PVE itself. With MAC-IP binding and 1:1 NAT you get a lot more flexibility.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!