Proxmox restarts randomly

Have the same issue with my system:
HP Elitedesk 800 G4 SFF with Intel i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB M.2 SSD, 4TB HDD.

Changed RAM already and tried different Kernels but getting reboots several times a day. Very annoying. Logs dont show anything helpful.
Searching the internet, many people seem to have this issue which nobody has a solution yet...

I have an Elitedesk 800 mini.
Have you by any chance have TPM enabled in the BIOS? I disabled TPM alltogether and since then no more reboots/freezes.
(running pve 7.4 and kernel 6.2.11)

same issue here, max uptime of my mini g5 is 2 days since a month. 2 nodes same problem

I have two identical home "servers" running ASRock X570 Pro4, AMD Ryzen 5600G, 2x32GB DDR4 3200 and 10Gb cards.

One of the machines started randomly rebooting about 10 days ago. There is absolutely no correlation between reboots and anything that I could think off. Sometimes it would reboot every ten minutes or so, sometimes the uptime can get as high as 12 hrs.

Tried changing PSU, replacing motherboard, disconnecting all the drives, leaving only the root NVME the same shit happens.

What is funny is that it is stable in memtest, had run it for 12 hrs straight, and when i boot from external USB drive distro like systemrescue.

Don't know what to think more, ordered a new CPU yday. followed the advice of disabling the TPM, did not help. The situation drives me mad TBH.

Last edited:
I have two identical home "servers" running ASRock X570 Pro4, AMD Ryzen 5600G, 2x32GB DDR4 3200 and 10Gb cards.

One of the machines started randomly rebooting about 10 days ago. There is absolutely no correlation between reboots and anything that I could think off. Sometimes it would reboot every ten minutes or so, sometimes the uptime can get as high as 12 hrs.

Tried changing PSU, replacing motherboard, disconnecting all the drives, leaving only the root NVME the same shit happens.

What is funny is that it is stable in memtest, had run it for 12 hrs straight, and when i boot from external USB drive distro like systemrescue.

Don't know what to think more, ordered a new CPU yday. followed the advice of disabling the TPM, did not help. The situation drives me mad TBH.
You could try throwing Windows Server on a spare SSD for a day. If it still crashes, it's hardware.

Have you by any chance have TPM enabled in the BIOS? I disabled TPM alltogether and since then no more reboots/freezes.
I've just disabled TPM 2.0 and my system seems to be stable so far. thanks!

Hello, I have the same issue as the folks listed above, with one exception that the reboot brings the server down. So the only solution is to manually reboot.

My specs are :
CPU(s) 16 x 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz (1 Socket) with 128G Memory and 8 TB SSD in RAID 5
Kernel Version Linux 5.15.104-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.15.104-2 (2023-04-12T11:23Z)
PVE Manager Version pve-manager/7.4-3/9002ab8a
Did you mean it was getting frozen? Do you actually see -- Reboot -- in the logs? Anything in dmesg?

I've just disabled TPM 2.0 and my system seems to be stable so far. thanks!
Actually, my Proxmox ran for about 6 hours, then it shutdown again. For some reason, mine doesn't reboot when it crashes.

Last edited:
Did you mean it was getting frozen? Do you actually see -- Reboot -- in the logs? Anything in dmesg?
I restarted a while back and didn't see the behaviour anymore till a few days ago. I see in the syslog --reboot-- but can't figure out what it causes.

If I look in the syslogs, I see only the following entries just before it reboots

Code:
Nov 09 05:17:01 pve CRON[1415670]: pam_unix(cron:session): session opened for user root(uid=0) by (uid=0)
Nov 09 05:17:01 pve CRON[1415671]: (root) CMD (cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 09 05:17:01 pve CRON[1415670]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root
-- Reboot --

No idea where to go from here

If I look in the syslogs, I see only the following entries just before it reboots

Code:
Nov 09 05:17:01 pve CRON[1415670]: pam_unix(cron:session): session opened for user root(uid=0) by (uid=0)
Nov 09 05:17:01 pve CRON[1415671]: (root) CMD (cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 09 05:17:01 pve CRON[1415670]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root
-- Reboot --

No idea where to go from here

Is this a cluster with HA?

No, it is not. I'm planning to setup now a cluster with HA as I'm fed up seeing everything go down without any reason.

I have a cluster with 4 x HP Elitedesk G4 mini and 2 x HP Prodesk G5 mini.
Since the upgrading from kernel 6.2.x to 6.5.x, some hypervisors are randomly crashing. Several times a day. Only experienced this with Elitedesk systems, not with Prodesk systems (yet).
No messages in logging. I cannot see the console, because they are headless (no keyboard, no monitor attached).
BIOS'es are up to date.

I seem to have found a fix by disabling GPU powermanagement by adding kernel parameter "i915.enable_dc=0".
See also https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/p...ues-with-hardware-transcoding-in-plex.132187/

Thanks for this hint. I had it enabled but even with disabled TPM there are still random reboots.

Also the kernel parameter mentioned by @Jacco did not work for me...

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!