Proxmox randomly freezes or reboot

EduCracker

Jul 23, 2020
Hi good day.

We have a Proxmox system installed on a B560M DS3H V2 motherboard (Core i9-11900 11th gen, 64GB RAM). It have been working with no mistakes about a year, but since some months ago it started to randomly shutdown (sometimes it suddenly shutdown). We have clean reinstalled proxmox in a new NvME disk. Then CPU shutdowns stopped, but still being rebooting randomly.

After several tries and tests (Memtest86 test passes, power supply replacement) i've tried to set min and max ARC non persistent (following instructions on https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/disable-zfs-arc-or-limiting-it.77845/). It's strange, but that worked, and server have no reboots on about 10 days.

Weird thing is that we have no zfs storages, we just use LVM for VM data storage, and ext4 for local PVE storage.

I've make persistent changes adding lines in /etc/modprobe.d/zfs.conf specifying "options zfs zfs_arc_min=8059738368" and zfs_arc_max.

Server remains beween 4-8 days without troubles and unexpectedly reboots again.

Can someone give me any clues about my trouble, or telling me why could zfs ARC affecting my server even when i don't use zfs pools at all, or if i completely disable zfs on my server could affect in something else.

Thank you!

Are you sure your mem is fine? No error entries in bios or iomi (bmc) limit arc can result into not use ram to that extend where you might reach a specific ram slot, that makes you server crash because its faulty.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!