Proxmox preinstallation to HDD

jalillbe

Aug 28, 2023
Hello Everyone!
Maybe I find a solution here. I have a bunch of servers where many of them I cannot access to their bios nor boot order (please no questions why, bios is just hidden on purpose). I am investigating Proxmox and how to utilize these servers in a cluster. So far it seems very promising. I an access servers physically and removed their hard drives. So I have one lab server where I can install drives to and do a install in there. I have cleared the drives so there is no existing volumes.

It takes some time so the question follows;
- Is there a way to extract existing ISO file (that is sysprep'd or somehow anonymized) directly to hard drive?
or altenatively
- If I use Rufus to extract install iso media into boot drive and enter unattended.txt type of config file so that the install goes thru without asking anything?

Appreciate your input, please let me know if developers made solution for this?

- Is there a way to extract existing ISO file (that is sysprep'd or somehow anonymized) directly to hard drive?
or altenatively

Not that I know of. You can put the drive in a different system and then install on it and swap it into the other system (that you cant acess bios) Would install legacy...

- If I use Rufus to extract install iso media into boot drive and enter unattended.txt type of config file so that the install goes thru without asking anything?

Theres no way to automate the setup of the Proxmox VE 8 iso. There are some things in planning, but they wont come before 8.1 maybe even later. You can go the Debian way, by installing debian and putting Proxmox VE on it, if you are familiar with Debian automation. https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_11_Bullseye

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!