[SOLVED] Proxmox post installation, the server not boot anymore. Ionos dedicated server

trabogano

May 12, 2023
Hi, i am using a ionos dedicated server, it not allow to run other system outside the defaults it have.

I am installing proxmox on a debian 11 bullseyes using this guide:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_11_Bullseye

Since here everything work as expected:

Install the Proxmox VE Kernel​

First you need to install and boot the Proxmox VE kernel, as some packages depend on specific kernel compile flags to be set or feature extensions (e.g., for apparmor) to be available.

apt install pve-kernel-5.15 (I've also try the pve-kernel-6.2 version)

I reboot the remote machine and it start without problems, but when i install:
apt install proxmox-ve postfix open-iscsi

At the next reboot it stuck here:
1683890501498.png

And it doesn't booting anymore.

Someone know why this happen?
There is something that i can do for preventing this error?

Thank you in advice.

Balcklisting ipmi modules not solve, there is something that broke the boot, i am also tryng to boot the proxmox iso in other way but in a system that you don't have acces to his cdrom or usb is harder. Someone know an alternative method for do this?
This dedicated server has 2 nvme in raid1 the only partition non in raid is the swap i am thinking to deactivate the swap change his filesystem and copy iso here and booting it from grub you think that is pssible?

For anyone in this environment, I managed to get everything working.
From ionos dashboard i have chosen a dedicated server with debian 11 then via ssh:
I have deactivated the swap partitions:
swapoff /dev/sda3
swapoff /dev/sdb3
I used this because the other partition is in software raid mode.
it was really hard to create new partitions so i decided to use the only ones that weren't associated with a raid.

I have modified /etc/fstab and removed the swap entries.
With cfdisk i have changed the partition type of /dev/sda3 from swap to linux filesystem
I have formatted /dev/sda3 in ext4 and rebooted
I have mounted /dev/sda3 in a temporary folder /root/tmp

On local pc:
I extracted linux26 and initrd.img from the iso, I unpacked the initrd.img I added the proxmox iso in the root of the folder where I unpacked the inird.img, I repacked everything. (I followed a guide about pxe in this forum and readapted to grub booting, skip the init modification because the script has already what installer need abount proxmox.iso

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-installation-via-pxe-solution.8484/)

Uploaded linux 26 and the initrd.img now with size of 1,2G via ssh in /root/tmp

Then i have created this grub entry in /etc/grub/40_custom:
menuentry "Proxmox" {
rmmod tpm
set root='(hd0,gpt3)'
linux /linux26
initrd /initrd.img
}

update-grub and rebooted.
In the remote vnc ionos console i choose the entry proxmox and after few minutes the install finally start.
Now i have a fully working system.

Is the first time that i use this distro I'm learning slowly but I have to say it's a really great system, thanks to all the developers.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!