Proxmox - Open-e setup crashes with replication support

gcakici

Renowned Member
Sep 26, 2009
Hi,

I have a running setup of Proxmox 1.7 and Open-e storage server via nfs and everything is fine. Now we're happy with the setup so decided to expand it for better protection of the vm images we want to expand our setup with another open-e and start replication of the nfs volume.

Open-e uses drbd for replication and their software implementation is approved by both Vmware and Xen. So i stop the nfs service both for share and for whole system. I gave replication property for the image lv and before starting replication i reenable all the nfs stuff and run my vm's and they're fine.

After that i again stop all the nfs related staff, start the replication job and i can see that it's running without any problem. Then i enable my nfs storage on proxmox, i can reach and see the image files. I run one of the VM's it boots up till the LVM monitoring everything goes fine. When the LVM monitoring starts it waits for a while and then it crashes. I can't reache the or disable NFS volume anymore. I can't stop the VM. Cpu goes crazy shows always %100. I kill the service of kvm on the console but again it hangs the process id and nfs is still shows busy so couldn't umount.

Only think i can see while booting it gives an error about sym0 when i try to use the nfs over replicated volume. Other than that everything is same. After like a 5 to 10 minutes nfs releases the locks and i can umount it.

It's interesting that same procedure works for Vmware and continue to run the VM without any further modification at all.

At the same time, my other test vm from another nfs storage share is up and running without any problem.

If anybody comes with any idea, i'll be happy.

Regards
Gokalp

pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.7-10 (pve-manager/1.7/5323)
running kernel: 2.6.32-4-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.7-30
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-30
qemu-server: 1.1-28
pve-firmware: 1.0-10
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-16
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-10
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.13.0-3
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-4

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!