proxmox on a single disk with partitions

abeck58

Sep 3, 2023
I am band new to proxmox so forgiven me for my lack of knowledge but i only have 1 drive in my system in the installation i limited the proxmox partition to 16Gb. how do i partition the remainder of the drive for a vm.

Hear is the output of fdisk -l if that helps

root@alpha-server:~# fdisk -l
Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 465.76 GiB, 500107862016 bytes, 976773168 sectors
Disk model: CT500P1SSD8
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 68F39EDF-8B25-42C5-8288-2CDC1BA958DB

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/nvme0n1p1 34 2047 2014 1007K BIOS boot
/dev/nvme0n1p2 2048 2099199 2097152 1G EFI System
/dev/nvme0n1p3 2099200 33554432 31455233 15G Solaris /usr & Apple ZFS

FYI, you can also give Proxmox VE the full disk and still use the remaining space for guests, as by default we set up a simple local directory storage where one can place disks as files (e.g., using QCOW2 or RAW format), and the installer also sets up a LVM-Thin or ZFS (depending on your choice of file system during installation) which can be used too.

Anyhow, for continuing with the existing installation you would need to create a new partition on the left-over unformatted space, and after that you can create a filesystem/storage on that partition using the Web UI, namely choose one of the storage types from the submenu under Node -> Disks, and use the create button there. For your setup I would suggest either using directory storage or LVM-Thin, both provide quite a few features but have still a low overhead.

FWIW, it seems you choose ZFS during installation, in that case it might make more sense to re-do the installation and use the full disk for ZFS. As then, you could re-use the free storage already comfortably for guests, otherwise you'd have the overhead of the root ZFS pool and whatever else you choose on the same disk, i.e., both storages "battling" for the same IO resource.

Last edited:
FYI, you can also give Proxmox VE the full disk and still use the remaining space for guests, as by default we set up a simple local directory storage where one can place disks as files (e.g., using QCOW2 or RAW format), and the installer also sets up a LVM-Thin or ZFS (depending on your choice of file system during installation) which can be used too.

Anyhow, for continuing with the existing installation you would need to create a new partition on the left-over unformatted space, and after that you can create a filesystem/storage on that partition using the Web UI, namely choose one of the storage types from the submenu under Node -> Disks, and use the create button there. For your setup I would suggest either using directory storage or LVM-Thin, both provide quite a few features but have still a low overhead.

FWIW, it seems you choose ZFS during installation, in that case it might make more sense to re-do the installation and use the full disk for ZFS, as then you could re-use the free storage already comfortably for guests, as otherwise you have the overhead of the root ZFS pool and whatever else you choose on the same disk, i.e., both storages "battling" for the same IO resource.
Thanks, i might just reinstall

FWIW, it seems you choose ZFS during installation, in that case it might make more sense to re-do the installation and use the full disk for ZFS. As then, you could re-use the free storage already comfortably for guests, otherwise you'd have the overhead of the root ZFS pool and whatever else you choose on the same disk, i.e., both storages "battling" for the same IO resource.

Hi Thomas,

Just came to the point to update proxmox to version 8.
Before doing that I wanted to take an image of the host (clonezilla)

By that I realized, as long as I have guest saved on the same device I cannot "exclude" the guest from the disk image.
Obviously because PVE is the volume group and divided in root / swap and LVM.

Even with a fresh installation where I decide to devide the sizes in "advanced settings" I cannot create a second volume group or is that somehow possible?

Is it somehow achieveable to have own "root / swap / pve" seperated from LVM (guests), so next time I don't need to include all guest into my image?

(and of course I did not include them, I moved them to my ssd_lvm storage)

thanks and BR
Christian

Even with a fresh installation where I decide to devide the sizes in "advanced settings" I cannot create a second volume group or is that somehow possible?
There you could reduce the hard disk size, as then the rest would be left unpartitioned and could be used to create a completely separate VG after the installation.
Is it somehow achieveable to have own "root / swap / pve" seperated from LVM (guests), so next time I don't need to include all guest into my image?
Either above, or use a separate disk that then can be setup via the disk management UI/API (Node -> Disks -> LVM-Thin).
IMO this would make the separation clearer, and on HW failure one would either already have a runnable Proxmox VE system, in which case a new disk for guest data can be installed and backups can be restored, or the guest data is still there and one can reinstall PVE on a new root disk. For the root disk one could use a small enterprise SATA or NVMe attached SSD, i.e., one with powerloss protection, as those are quite cheap for a few hundred GB, which is enough for the root disk, and have a much higher endurance and (latency, so fsync) performance than the consumer stuff.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!