Proxmox not working without monitor

pxu33

Apr 23, 2024
Hello there
Has motherboard with realnek network card and pci-e.

I installed proxmox using gui and my graphics card. Now - when i disable my monitor (gpu is still installed in motherboard, just without any output) - it does not access from my local network. i do not know why. Journalctl is OK

First thing - pci have different name, but i manually create config for my network card and it working with connected monitor again, when is disconnect it - problem occur

Bash:
#/etc/systemd/network/10-realtek.link
[Match]
MACAddress=0a:e0:af:f1:06:b8

[Link]
Name=realtek0

Mac adress is correct

Bash:
#/etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto realtek0
iface realtek0 inet manual
        post-up /usr/sbin/ethtool -s realtek0 wol g

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.100/24
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        bridge-ports realtek0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

Attach journalctl when monidor is disconnected, but gpu is installed

Thanks for help

Attachments

• journalctl.txt
    183.6 KB · Views: 2
When i uninstall monitor on booted system - proxmox still working fine
When i installed monitor on booted system (with uninstalled monitor) - black screen with "no signal"

Forgot to say:
With uninstalled gpu card - all working fine, but its not my case, i need always installed gpu inside motherboard

If your system doesn’t boot „headless“ you could try one of these cheap HDMI/DP dummy plugs.

Reactions: Kingneutron
Cwt is right. This looks like a BIOS/GPU POST issue and the easiest way to bypass this problem is to have a HDMI dummy plug.

If your system doesn’t boot „headless“ you could try one of these cheap HDMI/DP dummy plugs.
thanks for your answers, but whats about journalctl of booting without monitor? i do not see any errors

I just got this today and it solved the problem.
HDMI Dummy plug. You can get other variants as well.

Verify on the console
Bash:
sudo lshw -C display

1714205152506.png

Reactions: cwt

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!