[SOLVED] proxmox not starting, can't ssh or access terminal locally

Mar 20, 2022
I recently did some updates to proxmox, everything worked great until I restarted the server a couple of days later.

Now:
  • the web UI is not available
  • cannot SSH into proxmox server
  • can login locally, but cannot execute any commands
The local monitor is filled with this message (although the exact numbers change)
```
[ 55.172403] kvm [6351]: ignored rdmsr: 0x1a6 data 0x0
[ 55.172452] kvm [6351]: ignored wrmsr: 0x1a6 data 0x11
```
In grub there are 6 different options. 3 kernel versions, each with a recovery option.

The error message you posted is very unlikely to be related with inability to SSH into the host. Can you ping the PVE host?
When you login on the console:
- what does "ip a" show, are the right interfaces up and do they have IP?
- can you ping your gateway

Given that you seem to be experiencing network issues - those would be most often Kernel related, and very unlikely caused by PVE hypervisor packages. Treat this as a "Linux network troubleshooting" in Google.
You can also try to revert the kernel https://engineerworkshop.com/blog/how-to-revert-a-proxmox-kernel-update/

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

I did not know I had to do `apt dist-upgrade` when I did the original update.

Anyway, I updated through the UI this time.

I no longer get those messages... but I still cannot access to the UI or SSH into the server. I discovered that if I use the older kernel `5.13.19-6-pve` everything is fine.

With the new kernel `5.15.74-1-pve` it seems that there is an issue with my network adapter.

If I boot into recovery mode with the new kernel. I see this in the `journalctl -xb` logs.

Code:
etho0: Failed to rename network interface 3 from 'etho0' to 'etho1': File exists
etho0: Failed to process device, ignoring: File exists

I don't know why it's trying to rename the Ethernet device... I have multiple Ethernet ports on this machine.

Edit: I cannot ping the server using the new kernel. The address and port shown is what I expect to see, however. I have the address reserved in my router so it should not ever change or have a conflict.

Last edited:
Its not unusual for a new kernel to bring in a new network driver. Likely, what is happening the NIC is called something different than what is in your /etc/network/interfaces by the time OS with new Kernel boots.
There is a lot of documentation and discussions available online as to why things are done one way or the other:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/ques...hernet-and-wi-fi-interfaces-on-linux-machines

You should examine/record your working configuration (ip a > working.txt), boot into new Kernel and adjust your network config to new reality. You can use MAC addresses to match things.
Or you can just stay on old Kernel.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: ReenigneArcher
Hmm, okay...

From working kernel "ip a"
Code:
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
2: eno1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 6c:0b:84:aa:8f:d5 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    altname enp11s0
3: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master vmbr0 state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 6c:0b:84:aa:8f:d4 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    altname enp0s25
4: vmbr0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
    inet 192.168.1.9/24 scope global vmbr0
    inet6 fe80::6e0b:84ff:feaa:8fd4/64 scope link

/etc/network/interfaces
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.9/24
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        bridge-ports eth0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

iface eno1 inet manual

"ip a" from non working kernel
Code:
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
2: eno1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    altname enp0s25
3: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master vmbr0 state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    altname enp11s0
4: vmbr0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    inet 192.168.1.9/24 scope global vmbr0

solved by changing /etc/network/interfaces to
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.9/24
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        bridge-ports eno1
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

iface eth0 inet manual

Edit: solved

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!