Proxmox node vanished after reboot

jokocide

Apr 7, 2023
Hello! I'm new to Proxmox and I think I broke it again.

I'm just working with a single node right now, and I had two unprivileged LXC containers. One hosted a Samba share which I mounted at the datacenter level, and the other was running Plex that I passed the share mounted on the datacenter into. I decided to reboot the node yesterday, I don't even remember why now, and upon restarting the nodes are not appearing in the web GUI and I can't seem to SSH to the Proxmox host.

I noticed that when mounting the SMB share on the datacenter it required me to choose a content type and I am unable to leave it blank. So does that mean I shouldn't actually use it for general storage like this? I ended up going into the storage.cfg file and setting the content type to "none" so that it wouldn't automatically create folders in my samba share, and I feel like that might have caused my issues. How should I go about passing one container's samba shares to another if that isn't the right way to do it?

UPDATE:

I was right, manually changing the storage.cfg content for that entry to none broke everything. I changed it to images and after restarting again, all the nodes came back. So can someone clarify for me, is it possible to mount a smb share as storage at the datacenter/node level and not have it auto-create directories based on the content setting?

Last edited:
So can someone clarify for me, is it possible to mount a smb share as storage at the datacenter/node level and not have it auto-create directories based on the content setting?
As soon as a smb share is used as Storage it MUST have the respective directory corresponding to the configured content type. What not should happen is that the directories are at the mount point directory itself, i.e. the subdirectories visible also when the share is not mounted. This happens when the Storage at smb share is configured as type "Directory" without the "is_mountpoint" option. Use for Storage as smb preferably Storage type "SMB/CIFS".

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!