Proxmox node and all components have gray question marks after Bios update.

imbart

Dec 30, 2023
Hello,
i have setup a proxmox node last year and have had couple issues but nothing that was causing the node and vms to not work at all.. since I updated the BIOS on my MB ASUS TUF GAMING B450M-PRO II from 3810 > 4401 (latest) 2 days ago, the issue the node and all components have a gray question mark after a while sometimes after a shor time sometimes after a few hours, i do not notice that unles I try to check the gui or plex, ocasionaly i can log in to the gui ans see the question marks, but can not do anything. MOst of the time when this happens nothing is availabale no gui no ssh nothing works until I pres the reset button on the case.

the setup:
MB ASUS TUF GAMING B450M-PRO II
CPU amd 1700
32GB Corsair Ram
Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256 GB boot drive (onboard sata)
Samsung QVO 970 1TB vm storage as Directory (via LSI 9240-8i )
WD green 450GB vm storage/images ... as directory (via LSI 9240-8i )

Spinning drives 4x 8TB WD RED (onboard sata)
Spinning Drive 2x 12TB WD RED (via LSI 9240-8i)
Spinning drive 1x 2TB WD RED (onboard sata)

all spinning drives are passthrough to the plex VM

I guess this might be related to the BIOS update, like aI said this did not happened before, and since I did reset teh bios setting, is tehre anything in BIOS that I forgot to set/disable/enable that could cause this behavior ?

there is nothing very usefull in the logs to fing unfortunately.

Thankyou for any response.

Hi,

Did you check the syslog for any interesting error message related to the pveproxy for example?

hi,
no I did not see any errors in syslog at all and nothing related to pveproxy, the log writing just stopped and then it started when the boot process started. however, i did disable cstates in bios and so far the uptime is more than 4 days. I'll keep an eye on this, but i hope the issue is gone.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!