Proxmox Mail gateway features

powersupport

Jan 18, 2020
We are looking to settings up Proxmox Mail Security service.

I would like to clarify the technical capabilities of the gateway.

It is necessary to ensure
  1. throughput of 600,000 letters per day;
  2. the ability to adjust the balancing;
  3. implementation of content filtering.
  • Types of rules and examples
i. Title equals/not equals; header("From") == "@x55.ru"
ii. The recipient is equal/not equal; (rcpt-to == "^XXXX@x5.ru$")
And
iii. recv-listener == "Testt"
iv. mail-from == ^x5@x5summmit.ru$<mailto:%5ex5@x5summmit.ru$>

As with all Proxmox products - PMG is 100% AGPL licensed software - so my short recommendation is - just install it and give it a spin

Regarding your questions:
throughput of 600,000 letters per day;
We haven't done any throughput tests recently - but this post should still be valid:
https://lists.proxmox.com/pipermail/pmg-devel/2019-November/000764.html
Additionally as usual with SMTP - you can quite easily spread the load across multiple PMG instances using DNS round-robin.

the ability to adjust the balancing;
Not sure what you mean by that - but if you want to send different percentages of mail to different PMG instances then this is not possible out of the box (and seldomly necessary) - Balancing/multiple instances in SMTP can be implemented with multiple DNS records quite robustly
If you still need to do other balancing (why would that be?) - then you can always use a TCP/SMTP loadbalancer in front of PMG (haproxy, nginx maybe) - which increases the complexity of the setup and adds another point where you need to consider redundancy

. Title equals/not equals; header("From") == "@x55.ru"
There is regex matching in the filtering system
This would either be a What filter (if you mean the 'To' header) or a Who object (if you mean the envelope sender)

However currently negation is not implemented in the rule-system - you can work around this to some extend by creating 2 rules with different priority (one with the matching object and the desired action, one without the matching and the action if it does not match at lower priority)
There is a patch-series, in the making which aims to add negation though on the pmg-devel list.

For completeness sake - also the links to the reference documentation and the getting started page in the wiki:
https://pmg.proxmox.com/pmg-docs/pmg-admin-guide.html
https://pmg.proxmox.com/wiki/index.php/Getting_started_with_Proxmox_Mail_Gateway

I hope this helps!

HI,

1. Will the implementation of content filtering work in PMG ?

2. May I confirm the rule . Title equals/not equals; header("From") == "@x55.ru" can apply in PMG ?
3 The below rule is supported currently ?

Also,please let us know if the below rules can be applied
iii. recv-listener == "Testt"
iv. mail-from == ^x5@x5summmit.ru$<mailto:%5ex5@x5summmit.ru$>

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!