Proxmox / KVM questions

jarcher

Mar 15, 2009
Hi All...

I am wondering, with Proxmox and KVM, is it possible to overcommit the RAM in the physical machine? For example, if I have a physical machine with 4 GB RAM can I create 8 VMs each with 1GB RAM? VM Ware allows this, Citrix Xen Source does not.

Also, is it possible to use KVM with Linux? When I select a full virtualization my Linux based templates disappear from the drop down.

Thanks...

Jim

"Also, is it possible to use KVM with Linux? When I select a full virtualization my Linux based templates disappear from the drop down."

You can install linux in KVM. Did you upload an OpenVZ template? Maybe that's why you don't see it in the drop down list. Upload the linux iso, after that you should see it.

Hi All...

I am wondering, with Proxmox and KVM, is it possible to overcommit the RAM in the physical machine? For example, if I have a physical machine with 4 GB RAM can I create 8 VMs each with 1GB RAM? VM Ware allows this, Citrix Xen Source does not.

We do not check this during creation and start of VM´s but its not recommended to do.

Future versions of KVM can use KSM (a Kernel feature in 2.6.31 and higher, doing exactly what you want) - you can expect this in future versions of Proxmox VE.

Also, is it possible to use KVM with Linux? When I select a full virtualization my Linux based templates disappear from the drop down.

Thanks...

Jim

of course. running Linux on KVM is the most stable and almost all distribution have already the block and network paravirtualization drivers by default (virtio).

for installation, you need to upload the installation media (ISO) and install as you would do it on physical hardware. (The OpenVZ templates cannot be used for KVM)

Ah, I see yes. This does work well. I'll just wait for the future versions before I over commit RAM.

Thank you!

We do not check this during creation and start of VM´s but its not recommended to do.

Future versions of KVM can use KSM (a Kernel feature in 2.6.31 and higher, doing exactly what you want) - you can expect this in future versions of Proxmox VE.

of course. running Linux on KVM is the most stable and almost all distribution have already the block and network paravirtualization drivers by default (virtio).

for installation, you need to upload the installation media (ISO) and install as you would do it on physical hardware. (The OpenVZ templates cannot be used for KVM)

Hello,

I'm relieved because i opted for the KVM choice for my linux guests, but always read that CT was adviced for linux guests ( http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Container_and_Full_Virtualization )...

But you're advicing KVM instead, for linux guests !

Thank you !

Sincerely

P.S. : Do i need to install something special on Debian Lenny, to use virtio drivers ?

Hello,

I'm relieved because i opted for the KVM choice for my linux guests, but always read that CT was adviced for linux guests ( http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Container_and_Full_Virtualization )...

But you're advicing KVM instead, for linux guests !

Thank you !

Sincerely

P.S. : Do i need to install something special on Debian Lenny, to use virtio drivers ?

Best way to run Linux is OpenVZ unless you need some special Kernel modules. Second best is KVM. For Debian Lenny you can use virtio out of the box.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!