Proxmox ISO upload location - no staging

sedstr

Feb 8, 2024
Hi - is there a configuration file or known solution to change the way iso uploads work?
Currently with my initial setup, when I upload an ISO, its staged under /var/ on one of the nodes and then copied to the ISO designated filesystems.

This seems like an oversight and there is no logical reason why the ISO upload cant be defined as a variable relative to the configuration item that explicitly defines the resource as an ISO / Template repository, or at the very least, there should be a configuration item that specifies the "staging area" for iso's or anything else that is uploadable.

I'm now wondering if, when I'm in a situation where I need to upload a VM image that may be 100's of GB, that I'm expected to maintain a cluster nodes root filesystem larger than that, just so I can upload an image that will then be copied to the actual destination location.

As a Unix and Linux sysadmin of over 20 years, I can easily work around this issue, but I have windows sysadmins that I need to work on this infrastructure with and this will catch them out.

Considering that uploading an ISO can actually bring down the nodes due to running out of space, at the very least, the staging directory should be made, by default, as a separate filesystem.

Reactions: Kingneutron
This seems like an oversight and there is no logical reason why the ISO upload cant be defined as a variable relative to the configuration item that explicitly defines the resource as an ISO / Template repository, or at the very least, there should be a configuration item that specifies the "staging area" for iso's or anything else that is uploadable.
Sounds like a reasonable feature request. You should file it in https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/
Although having to maintain a scratch place worth 100s of GB just on an off chance you need to upload large bulk of data, does not sound much better.
For bulk upload I'd go to CLI.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: Kingneutron
Before I bit the bullet and did a reinstall (initially made my PMVE root way too small at 16GB) I redirected /var/tmp on the host to a ZFS compressed dataset on another drive with a soft symlink...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!