proxmox is very slow at reading from an NFS share!

RodinM

Aug 1, 2011
I have two proxmox nodes in a cluster with directly attached shared storage (HP MSA 2000) where VMs are running. I also set up an NFS share on a separate OpenBSD machine as a storage for vzdump images. The backup process seems to run properly. According to backup logs it takes from 30 minutes to 2 hours for a single VM to back up depending on the VM size. And all VMs are backed up successfully. I measured the writing speed to the NFS share, it is 15-40 mbytes/s, which seems very good. But it turned out that the reading speed from the NFS share is very slow. It is 30-200kbytes/s. I connected to the NFS-share from my ubuntu-machine and tried to read some *.tgz archives from the share to my local hard disk. The reading speed was 10-30 mbytes/s.
What could be the reason for such different results? OS type or something else?

We do our backups through VZDump on PM to NFS, and it works really fast (read & write). What NICs are you using?

I already solved the problem. I added "option udp" to the storage.cfg where my nfs shares are mentioned and now it works fast in and out. Strange but it seems that Debian and OpenBSD aren't very friendly to each other when nfs with tcp protocol is used. Although scp between them works fast without any options.

I already solved the problem. I added "option udp" to the storage.cfg where my nfs shares are mentioned and now it works fast in and out. Strange but it seems that Debian and OpenBSD aren't very friendly to each other when nfs with tcp protocol is used. Although scp between them works fast without any options.

Is there a reference for these options? Where is the storage.cfg on 2.0 ?

I have Proxmox VE 1.9, not 2.0
I added these options according to this post:
forum.proxmox.com/threads/6964-Change-NFS-mount-options
Now it looks like this:
nfs: O_NFS
path /mnt/pve/O_NFS
server 172.16.10.200
export /nfs
options udp
content backup
Seems working... Reading speed is good.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!