Proxmox IP install

malypetu

Feb 22, 2012
Guys
I've installed Proxmox on my machine The machine has :
-- 1x 1Tb disk divided in two parts (win and Ubuntu)

-- New 1x2TB disk for Proxmox only.

Problem:
After installation (went smoothly) two problems occurs:
1.- Can not connect from a client machine to https://192.168.100.120 which is the IP given to proxmox.
2.- My existing disk 1tb with Win & Ubuntu can not start anymore... error 21 no boot sector. (??)

Questions:
1.- At installation time I've specifically said use disk #2, Can this be ignored by proxmox and erase disk #1 anyway? Have I lost everything?
2.- What can I do to verify if Client can see Proxmox? If ping from client the proxmox machine 192.168.100.120 works fine.
3.- When setting Proxmox it present option to change Hostname, Netmask Gateway and DNS. The video by Martin say it is automatically detected. Is the gateway the IP address of the ADSL-modem connected to Internet?
4.- Anything I can do to test my installation?

Cheers

Proxmox is not for installing it on a workstation.
What your gateway is depends on your network. If your adsl modem is also your nat device then the ip of the modem i think 192.168.100.1 should be the dg.
I think you MBR is broken.

Guys
I've installed Proxmox on my machine The machine has :
-- 1x 1Tb disk divided in two parts (win and Ubuntu)

-- New 1x2TB disk for Proxmox only.

Problem:
After installation (went smoothly) two problems occurs:
1.- Can not connect from a client machine to https://192.168.100.120 which is the IP given to proxmox.
2.- My existing disk 1tb with Win & Ubuntu can not start anymore... error 21 no boot sector. (??)
Hi,
if you disconnect disk1 (win/ubuntu), can you boot pve? I assume that the installer write the MBR to the first disk - but this don't fit to the error message "no boot sector".

When disk1 is connected an pve is running, do you see the partitiontable of disk1 with "fdisk -l"?
Questions:
1.- At installation time I've specifically said use disk #2, Can this be ignored by proxmox and erase disk #1 anyway? Have I lost everything?
2.- What can I do to verify if Client can see Proxmox? If ping from client the proxmox machine 192.168.100.120 works fine.
And the connection from client (same network?) with an actual browser ( https://192.168.100.120 ) don't work? You have to accept the selfsigned certificate.
3.- When setting Proxmox it present option to change Hostname, Netmask Gateway and DNS. The video by Martin say it is automatically detected. Is the gateway the IP address of the ADSL-modem connected to Internet?
??? don't understand, where the problem is. What happens if you run following from the console of the pve-host:
Code:
traceroute -n www.google.com

Udo

Thanks for all the replies. Here are my answers.

Hi,
if you disconnect disk1 (win/ubuntu), can you boot pve? I assume that the installer write the MBR to the first disk - but this don't fit to the error message "no boot sector".

I think that is the case. The error; I'm not too concern as I can install it again.

When disk1 is connected an pve is running, do you see the partitiontable of disk1 with "fdisk -l"?

I'll check and report back

And the connection from client (same network?) with an actual browser ( https://192.168.100.120 ) don't work? You have to accept the selfsigned certificate.

Firefox doesn't offer a certificate on the first screen so I'm assuming that is not the problem.

??? don't understand, where the problem is. What happens if you run following from the console of the pve-host:
Code:
traceroute -n www.google.com

I'll check that too and report back.

Now just to clarify some points:
I've got 3 devices (1 adsl modem, 2 routers)
-- First router R1 (IP=192.168.1.1) is connected to ADSL
-- Second router R2 (IP=192.168.1.102) is connected to R1

Proxmox server (IP=192.168.100.120), ok now I see that the 100 refers to a different network not sure if it was my typo or offered.

Based on this I'm assuming the Proxmox Server should have IP=192.168.1.120 (correct?)

Cheers

Last edited:
Guys
Thank you for all the replies, I have changed the IP address at installation time and thing went wrong I did install it again and this time assign the correct IP address and everything went smoothly./

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!