proxmox installation without IGPU but two gpu

Golemyte

Mar 15, 2024
i recently changed my main pc and i'd like to try to run proxmox on it, but the CPU does n't have IGPU. is there any way to passthrough one gpu and use the other for proxmox, without totally blacklisting the nvidia driver ?

hardware :
R7 2700X
Aorus B450 elite V1
32GB DDR4
1070TI
640GT

It's not my first tie running it but i didn't had this problem with the I7 2600K i used because he has iGPU.

i recently changed my main pc and i'd like to try to run proxmox on it, but the CPU does n't have IGPU. is there any way to passthrough one gpu and use the other for proxmox, without totally blacklisting the nvidia driver ?

Aorus B450 elite V1
1070TI
640GT
Your motherboard only supports passthrough of the x16 PCIe slot and one M.2 slot (x4). If it boots with the GPU in the x16 slot then it won't get what you want.
However, Gigabyte does often support choosing the boot GPU, so you might be in luck and select the other PCIe x16 slot (which is a x4) as boot GPU.
You don't need to blacklist a driver if you early bind the GPU to vfio-pci (like in the manual: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_host_device_passthrough ) but it might need a softdep as well.

Reactions: Golemyte
Your motherboard only supports passthrough of the x16 PCIe slot and one M.2 slot (x4). If it boots with the GPU in the x16 slot then it won't get what you want.
However, Gigabyte does often support choosing the boot GPU, so you might be in luck and select the other PCIe x16 slot (which is a x4) as boot GPU.
You don't need to blacklist a driver if you early bind the GPU to vfio-pci (like in the manual: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_host_device_passthrough ) but it might need a softdep as well.
Yup it's the case i can change it in the bios. should i still try to early bind it ?
Also, since i can choose in proxmox would it be possible to launch promox without the GT640 and just plug it in when i need to troubleshoot to lower the overall power draw ? Thanks for the help!

Yup it's the case i can change it in the bios.
Nice! I wish more motherboard manufacturers would provide such options.
should i still try to early bind it ?
If the GPU resets properly, then it might not be necessary. Just try it.
Also, since i can choose in proxmox would it be possible to launch promox without the GT640 and just plug it in when i need to troubleshoot to lower the overall power draw ?
Yes, but your motherboard will probably then use the other GPU during boot, and that might cause trouble. Just try it?
Also, PCI IDs change when you add/enable or remove/disable (on-board) PCI(e) devices. This can also cause the network device to change it name and you could lose the network connection. More information on the forum with way to fixate the network device names. It's all trial and error, sorry.

Reactions: Golemyte

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!