Proxmox installation "Trying to detect country"

@cheiss I have run into the same issue today while installing as a VM on truenas scale. I am only seeing the same behaviour if I try to install with a NIC attached (binding a physical port). Ive got all of the info you asked for, can I PM it to you? Running proxmox-low-level-installer dump-env detects the country almost instantly.

I have run into the same issue today while installing as a VM on truenas scale. I am only seeing the same behaviour if I try to install with a NIC attached (binding a physical port). Ive got all of the info you asked for, can I PM it to you? Running proxmox-low-level-installer dump-env detects the country almost instantly.
Pass-thru'ing a physical NIC? Interesting. I could not for the life of me reproduce it yet, but only ever tried with virtual NICs.
Yes, please, feel free to do so. You can also attach it directly here to your post, if you want.

Had the same issue. Unplug network cable helped with detecting country but still no progress with install, only black screen. ALT+F3 opens EULA but no mouse or keyboard active on this screen.
Managed to install via console installation. Finally updated to the latest, seems working now.

Hey, same here.
Try all commands from above (and many more). I also try the following:
root@proxmox:/# proxmox-low-level-installer dump-env trying to detect country... Detected country: DE
I try until i kill the cmdln in my terminal. Due to this i force my computer to reboot. Didn't stuck any longer.
Strange

Just a quick note - I wanted to do a fresh install and encountered the 'detect country' issue today. To resolve it, I created an 'any/any allow' rule in the VLAN where my Proxmox was assigned via DHCP. Additionally, I disabled pfBlockerNG. After taking these steps, the problem was resolved, and on my next attempt, I received the EULA within a few seconds.

Just a quick note - I wanted to do a fresh install and encountered the 'detect country' issue today. To resolve it, I created an 'any/any allow' rule in the VLAN where my Proxmox was assigned via DHCP. Additionally, I disabled pfBlockerNG. After taking these steps, the problem was resolved, and on my next attempt, I received the EULA within a few seconds.
Thanks for the report and describing the steps you took! I'll try to replicate that exact setup and see if the issue is reproducible on my end too.

I had same problem and solved it today. (getting ip from dhcp server but hang indefinatly at deteting country)

My new pve machine was connected to managed switch, and connected port was configured for multiple VLANs. I changed port configuration from switch to access port(no vlan) and it solved this proplem.

Hi, I just had exactly the same problem with 8.0-2, and disabling completely VLAN traffic on switch port (Unifi USW) worked like a charm, it detected country without any delay and progressed to next steps. Thanks @baegopooh for your suggestion!

I'd like to add some information on this. I encountered this error with 8.1-1 ISO today.
I also connected to a VLAN capable switch with this server, but only the default untagged VLAN available on that port, no tagged VLANs present. The installed got an IPv4 address from the DHCP server, and internet is fully accessible with name resolution from tty3.
When I checked the above things (ping, geoip, IP address, log file contents) I had no /run/proxmox-installer//run-env-info.json file at all.
I checked country with the geoiplookup command with my own public IPv4 address and it immediately returned my country code.
I then ran the proxmox-low-level-installer dump-enc command and after a few seaconds, it returnded that "unable to detect country - timed out".
While testing these things, the installer still stood hang on trying to detect country line.
One thing what I saw strange, that the dates in the /tmp/install-low-level-dump-env.log file are starting with 2099-09-12, but date command shows good date as of 2023-11-28.

Reactions: cheiss
Thanks for the report and describing the steps you took! I'll try to replicate that exact setup and see if the issue is reproducible on my end too.
Honestly don't understand how this software is so highly lauded, the three times i've used it to install on computers the first time it could not load the graphics drivers and installation failed, and on the second computer it fails to get dhcp address, the third computer just fails to work with dhcp with proxmox installed when literally ubuntu server and lubuntu worked fine.

Honestly don't understand how this software is so highly lauded, the three times i've used it to install on computers the first time it could not load the graphics drivers and installation failed, and on the second computer it fails to get dhcp address, the third computer just fails to work with dhcp with proxmox installed when literally ubuntu server and lubuntu worked fine.
In my opinion, Proxmox VE is the best virtualization platform for small and medium businesses, and of course for home-labbers.
We switched to Proxmox VE from VMware ESXi on all customer servers (about 30 now) at the 5.4-6.1 era and never looked back. Proxmox is superior in all ways compared to the free and cheapest ESXi licenses (wchich is not cheap at all with $5000 for a 3 node cluster...).
We ran multiple PVE clusters, too, with different storage options (TrueNAS NFS share, Ceph hyperconverged, ZFS replication to name a few we use), without problems, now for years. All backed up with PBS (some clients choose Proxmox mainly because this backup system).
We currently running multiple projects for new clients to switch their systems from Hyper-V or VMware to Proxmox because they see the robustness and easyness of it at our company and at our other clients.
There are glitches in the matrix sometimes, but the company and the community gives anwers for the problems in hours, maybe days at max.
For exapmle, this exact problem not showed up on an another server, the same day I wrote that post, the installation went flawlessly.

Reactions: cheiss
I'd like to add some information on this. I encountered this error with 8.1-1 ISO today.
Thanks for the very detailed investigation & report!

ggallo said:
I also connected to a VLAN capable switch with this server, but only the default untagged VLAN available on that port, no tagged VLANs present. The installed got an IPv4 address from the DHCP server, and internet is fully accessible with name resolution from tty3.
When I checked the above things (ping, geoip, IP address, log file contents) I had no /run/proxmox-installer//run-env-info.json file at all.
/run/proxmox-installer/run-env-info.json gets created after the country detection, so it missing while it hangs on that is expected, FWIW.

ggallo said:
I checked country with the geoiplookup command with my own public IPv4 address and it immediately returned my country code.
I then ran the proxmox-low-level-installer dump-enc command and after a few seaconds, it returnded that "unable to detect country - timed out".
While testing these things, the installer still stood hang on trying to detect country line.
This really helpful, as it kind of confirms my suspicion that it is some weird interaction with the network stack. I still have not managed to reproduce this issue exactly, but encountered hanging applications on network access in some other form.
I'll try and see if I can reproduce this issue maybe on some other physical machine, where I can also fumble with the physical network.

ggallo said:
One thing what I saw strange, that the dates in the /tmp/install-low-level-dump-env.log file are starting with 2099-09-12, but date command shows good date as of 2023-11-28.
That's probably just an artifact from NTP & co, i.e. the ISO starts with some (incorrect) date, and as soon as a network connection is established, the current date & time is fetched from an NTP server.

i experienced exactly the same issue. i switched to a terminal via alt-F2 (F3-5, i don't remember exactly). I got a functioning root console there and was abled to do a `ps ax`. i saw that traceroute command. Killed it via `killall traceroute` and immediately the graphical interface came up to let me continue the installation

Reactions: _gabriel
i experienced exactly the same issue. i switched to a terminal via alt-F2 (F3-5, i don't remember exactly). I got a functioning root console there and was abled to do a `ps ax`. i saw that traceroute command. Killed it via `killall traceroute` and immediately the graphical interface came up to let me continue the installation
thank you this worked wonderfully

Same problem today. I'm blocking Google servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in my router, so the traceroute can't finish.
Whitelisting helps, but it would be nice if you could add other IPs to the traceroute as well ;)

Last edited:
any news about this problem? will there be a fix? the problem still persist :( (for now I bypass it unplugging the ethernet cable)

I had the same problem "Trying to detect country" on a Dell 3070 Micro (with a new Lexar NM710 2 TB SSD), so I switched to the Install with "Terminal UI" => at that moment, Hard disk was not found.

I checked the BIOS and under System Configuration, I changed "SATA Operation" from "RAID on" to AHCI.

After this change in the BIOS, the disk was detected in Install with "Terminal UI" AND the "Trying to detect country" also disappeared in the install with the Graphical UI. I have no idea how the BIOS change can influence the "Trying to detect country"-issue, but I wanted to share it ;-).

a fixed timeout (like 5 seconds) during Country detection should be set within installer to fallback quickly to country menu manual selection.
allowing bypass traceroute hang
( because just a peak usage ?)

a fixed timeout (like 5 seconds) during Country detection should be set within installer to fallback quickly to country menu manual selection.
allowing bypass traceroute hang
That's already built in, although 10 seconds. There are safeguards in place that should kill the traceroute process after 10 seconds.
As well as traceroute has it's own internal timeouts as well, that should take over. That is what actually baffles me with the whole issue.

While I further investigate from time to time and try to create a reproducer as I have got time, I unfortunately didn't have luck on that yet.
My current guess is that is it some weird/racy interaction on the Perl side. But without reproducer, it's also hard to really test any potential fixes.

It seems to fix itself when the network interface is unplugged - which, at least as a temporary workaround - let's people continue the installation, albeit it might be a bit cumbersome.

Reactions: _gabriel

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!