Proxmox - install second ssd

TMGG

Jun 16, 2019
Hello, I have a quick question. My Proxmox is running on an Intel NUC11 with an internal 1TB SSD. Now I would like to add an additional external SSD (via USB) that is available for data VM/LXC overlapping. Data from Frigate, Nextcloud, Ovm, etc.
What is the right way to integrate this new SSD?

After connecting the disk to the system, in the web interface go to your node -> Disks. Select the new disk and click Initialize Disk with GPT. Then you can navigate to Disks -> one of the available storage types (LVM, LVM-Thin, Directory, ZFS) and click Create to set up a storage.

Last edited:
Reactions: TMGG
A directory storage supports storing any kind of content as a file.
LVM & LVM-thin only supports block level storage. In other words: it supports storing disk images for VMs and containers.
ZFS supports block level storage and file level storage. To make use of the file level storage you will have to create a dataset and then create a directory storage on top of that.

If you want to have a directory shared between containers, that can be achieved with bind mounts.
If you want to setup shared storage between containers and VMs, the way to go would be to setup an NFS or SMB/CIFS share.

Last edited:
Reactions: takeokun
Yes, I was just about to ask that. I have installed my omv as LXC.
How do I pass the created `storage` through?

A directory storage supports storing any kind of content as a file.
LVM & LVM-thin only supports block level storage. In other words: it supports storing disk images for VMs and containers.
ZFS supports block level storage and file level storage. To make use of the file level storage you will have to create a dataset and then create a directory storage on top of that.

If you want to have a directory shared between containers, that can be achieved with bind mounts.
If you want to setup shared storage between containers and VMs, the way to go would be to setup an NFS or SMB/CIFS share.
Is there a manual for this

In other words. What is the easier way to create your own NAS as a kind of cloud for external access to data.
I was thinking of openmediavault or TrueNAS.
Or what is your opinion on this

If you want a cloud use Nextcloud. If you want a simple small NAS use OMV. If you want a complex big NAS and you got good enterprise grade hardware use TrueNAS.
And what storage to choose for each of them really depends...its always "pick your poison". All options got heavy drawbacks and you have to choose the lesser evil for your personal needs.

Yes, I was just about to ask that. I have installed my omv as LXC.
How do I pass the created `storage` through?
Bind-mounting won't work for 2 years or so as the "sharerootfs" plugin in OMV is required for that and not working anymore.
If you want OMV use a VM with disk passthrough or virtual disks.

And be aware that you won't be able to mount SMB/NFS shares directly inside an unprivileged LXC...that only works with secure VMs and insecure privileged LXCs. So you will have to cut corners again and choose between secure but expensive or insecure but cheap on ressources.

Last edited:
Thank you for the honest and detailed feedback
If you want a cloud use Nextcloud. If you want a simple small NAS use OMV. If you want a complex big NAS and you got good enterprise grade hardware use TrueNAS.
And what storage to choose for each of them really depends...its always "pick your poison". All options got heavy drawbacks and you have to choose the lesser evil for your personal needs.

Bind-mounting won't work for 2 years or so as the "sharerootfs" plugin in OMV is required for that and not working anymore.
If you want OMV use a VM with disk passthrough or virtual disks.

And be aware that you won't be able to mount SMB/NFS shares directly inside an unprivileged LXC...that only works with secure VMs and insecure privileged LXCs. So you will have to cut corners again and choose between secure but expensive or insecure but cheap on ressources.
Thank you for the honest and detailed feedback

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!