Proxmox Install on 4Kn drives with a Legacy BIOS

hiatthe

Sep 30, 2020
Hey all,

I'm in a bit of a jam here because I've got 4Kn drives attached to an HBA, and my HP Proliant Server only supports Legacy BIOS.

So when I go to create my ZFS pool to install Proxmox to, I get told that I can't boot from 4Kn in Legacy mode.

Am I screwed? Or is there a way around this?

I've looked at installing Debian 12, and then installing Proxmox on top of that, however.. I need to be able to create ZFS pools in order to have something to install to. Which I don't believe Debian 12 can do in the installer correct?

Thanks in advance!

I don't think that you can boot from 4Kn drives in legacy mode at all - so out of curiosity - can you even install plain debian (without ZFS) on those drives and boot from them?

Else - currently I only see the option of installing on top of debian - there is a guide in the openZFS wiki (currently only find the version for bullseye - but the procedure should work with bookworm as well):
https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/Getting Started/Debian/Debian Bullseye Root on ZFS.html

In general it might be easiest to get other drives - alternatively you can put a smaller disk (or 2 for mirroring) in the system, install PVE on those and then add the 4kn drives for storage and just not boot from them.

I don't think that you can boot from 4Kn drives in legacy mode at all - so out of curiosity - can you even install plain debian (without ZFS) on those drives and boot from them?

Else - currently I only see the option of installing on top of debian - there is a guide in the openZFS wiki (currently only find the version for bullseye - but the procedure should work with bookworm as well):
https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/Getting Started/Debian/Debian Bullseye Root on ZFS.html

In general it might be easiest to get other drives - alternatively you can put a smaller disk (or 2 for mirroring) in the system, install PVE on those and then add the 4kn drives for storage and just not boot from them.
Thank you for your response!

That's a good point in that 4kn drives just might not be bootable at all in Legacy mode. After some further research I've seen some things to confirm that.

Can proxmox be installed to a USB drive? I've only got 8 bays in my server, and I'd like to make use of all 8 of them for storage.

Can proxmox be installed to a USB drive? I've only got 8 bays in my server, and I'd like to make use of all 8 of them for storage.
It's not recommended - Proxmox VE does quite a bit of logging and other small writes to the system disk - and this usually wears out most USB-drives very fast.

Some users do run such configurations - you'll certainly find threads with their experiences in this forum.

But I'd really suggest to change the layout and have sensible system-disks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!