Proxmox install not showing usb devices

iamrufus

Jun 4, 2021
Hi everyone

just installing proxmox for the first time and I am booting it off a usb stick which works fine. When it comes to picking the drive to install to the only drives that show in the drop down are my sata drives. I have an internal usb2 slot on my motherboard which I have an external ssd plugged into that I would like to install to.

is there a way to get proxmox to display usb drives as an option on the drop down menu to install to?

appreciate any advice

thank you

Last edited:
Hi everyone

just installing proxmox for the first time and I am booting it off a usb stick which works fine. When it comes to picking the drive to install to the only drives that show in the drop down are my sata drives. I have an internal usb2 slot on my motherboard which I have an external ssd plugged into that I would like to install to.

is there a way to get proxmox to display usb drives as an option on the drop down menu to install to?

appreciate any advice

thank you
You might find this helpful, I installed proxmox using external harddrive and installed on another harddrive

Both are external.

https://youtu.be/D4GBR5ANQbg

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!