Proxmox install in Mac Pro 6,1 2013 (Thrash can)

jlmorgado

Jun 23, 2020
Hi,

Got a Mac Pro 6,1, 2013 version (also known as Thrash Can), my idea is to install Proxmox on it to use as my homelab. Already running Proxmox at work, so decided to use it as well at home.

When I launch it via the USB installer, I manage to reach the install launch option, but after a bit it fails with a message "Found unsupported PHY" and then the screen just turns black and need to restart the Mac.

I know this might be a bit off topic, but I've read some people posts on some other pages mentioning they're using the same setup or even a Mac Pro 5,1 to run Proxmox.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

J.

Hi again,

Just found the exact error: b43-phy0 ERROR: FOUND UNSUPPORTED PHY (Analog 12, Type 11 (AC), Revision 1). This seems to be related with the fact that the Mac Pro has a wifi chip? See error screenshot below/attached.

Does anyone know about a way to run the Proxmox installer and disable/ignore this error?

Thank you,
J.

Error.jpg

Installing Debian 11 right now... It seems the issue I was getting (No device for installation media was detected) is easily fixed by removing the USB drive and plug it back again... Oh well, always learning :p

Reactions: crpeck
Great joy! Proxmox up and running on my old school Mac Pro 6,1 2013 :)
That's really good to know! I'm about to make my first foray into the world of Proxmox with my Mac Pro 6,1. Just out of curiosity, by installing Debian 11 first and then install PVE on top of it, does it somehow add any penalties in terms of performance VS a vanilla installation of PVE (if that were possible with the Trashcan)?

That's really good to know! I'm about to make my first foray into the world of Proxmox with my Mac Pro 6,1. Just out of curiosity, by installing Debian 11 first and then install PVE on top of it, does it somehow add any penalties in terms of performance VS a vanilla installation of PVE (if that were possible with the Trashcan)?
Hi,

Not really sure if this method would add any penalty to the Proxmox execution, on this setup I'm running 3/4 VMs at the moment which are very light. It is possible that Proxmox made their install lighter by removing stuff which doesn't need to be running, which I haven't bothered doing.

J.

Reactions: Europa2010AD
Hi,

Not really sure if this method would add any penalty to the Proxmox execution, on this setup I'm running 3/4 VMs at the moment which are very light. It is possible that Proxmox made their install lighter by removing stuff which doesn't need to be running, which I haven't bothered doing.

J.
I see, thanks for your reply! At least it's good to know it can be done with the trashcan; fingers crossed the performance will hold up with what I'd like to do with it :)

Reactions: jlmorgado
does anyone have issues with VMs on their trashcans? I can't seem to get them running right. they reboot with a few minutes of starting them. when they reboot they get stuck on the booting from hard drive since the install never finish.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!