Proxmox: How to pass pcspkr device from host to guest?

muhaha

May 17, 2018
How can I pass onboard pcspkr device (/dev/input/by-path/platform-pcspkr-event-spkr) to guest in Promox? ( its not pci nor audio device ).
Thanks

I doubt that this is possible.
qemu does have support for emulating a pcspkr (you need to add an args line to the vm config) - then the ouput of the guests pcspkr should end on your hosts soundcard

Why would you want/need a pcspkr inside a guest? (Maybe there is an easier way to achieve what you want)

I am running openwrt and pfsense in Proxmox on really slow device ( pcengines apu2c4 ), it takes almost 5 mins to pfsense boots up ( its my main router ). I can not send any notification at that time, cuz of missing network, so something like pcspeaker would notify me that startup is completed.
Pfsense and even openwrt can utilize pcspkr to play startup/shutdown sound.

Hmm - guess you could try to attach a USB-soundcard and pass that through to the VM (alternatively add the pcspkr emulation device to the pfsense config and play the sound through the USB-soundcard)

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!