Proxmox host for CPA client?

thinkserver

Mar 13, 2020
Would you guys think a proxmox host would be sufficient for a CPA? They will just be running quickbooks, each machine ideally would be 2vc/6gb.

Specs:
System: Dell Precision T7910 Workstation
Processor: 2x Xeon E5-2690 v3 2.6GHz
Memory: 128GB DDR4

I have a ton of these on hand, and the client is only wanting to spend a max of $1,600

Stupid counter question: what's a CPA?
2 vCPU + 6 GB RAM is a nobrainer on that HW.
You can probably run a bunch of those on the hw

Not so stupid, I had the every same question!

Stupid counter question: what's a CPA?
2 vCPU + 6 GB RAM is a nobrainer on that HW.
You can probably run a bunch of those on the hw

Certified Public Accountant

Just wanted some second opinions, most of my friends or acquaintances just kept saying to go with a cloud solution.
But this client was on cloud before and hated it lol some tin foil hat stuff but had some issues locally with internet and not being able to work.

It could potentially be 20 users at some point, this client owns several businesses.

These processors have eight cores
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...0-20m-cache-2-90-ghz-8-00-gt-s-intel-qpi.html
That's 16 in sum.
Reserve 2 for the hypervisor, means 14 are available.
2:1 vCPU ratio means 28 vCores
3:1 vCPU ratio means 42 vCores
Wouldn't go beyond that due to end user computing.

So mathematically I wouldn't go over 21 VMs with 2vCPUs.
Memory is getting tight as well in this case. So probably you aim for roughly 15-18 VMs.

Public cloud, especially in IaaS, can be quiet expensive. That's just a fact.

Before I recommend something like this I need to know more about the workload.
No need to say that you will oversubsribe CPU even more in this case. Nothing I can recommend in an VDI-environment (especially without graphics acceleration and in those old CPUs).

Before I recommend something like this I need to know more about the workload.
No need to say that you will oversubsribe CPU even more in this case. Nothing I can recommend in an VDI-environment (especially without graphics acceleration and in those old CPUs).
Yes, that came up in my google search as first item, I still don't know what the implications are for a VM.

If you're VMs are all very similar, KSM kicks in and you can pack them even more.

They will only be using Quickbooks, just for bookkeeping/payroll, this should also be the only application minus AV and security stuff installed on the VM. We already have a VPN in place, so my idea is to just allow some of there remote employees use these machines.

I have done things linda like this in the past but with VMware, and on a large scale.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!