[SOLVED] Proxmox host crashes when torrenting and transcoding media

haldarritam

Jan 19, 2024
Hello everyone,
I need some help with a problem that I have with my proxmox host. My setup is as follows:
I have a mini PC with i5-7500t,32GB RAM, 1TB NVME, and 1TB HDD. I use proxmox to run a Debian container that serves as a NAS for the 1TB HDD. I also have a VM that runs the arr stack, VPN, and qbittorrent to download Linux ISOs and a container that runs Jellyfin to stream the media.

The problem occurs when I have 3 fast downloads on qbittorrent (which consumes a lot of bandwidth) and then I try to play something on Jellyfin that requires transcoding (it happens with both HW and SW transcoding). After 2-3 minutes of playing the media, the proxmox host crashes. I checked the CPU usage before the crash and it was around 65-75% (which is quite high). I also monitored the system temperatures and they were around 55C. So it does not seem to be an overheating issue.

What could be causing the crash? Is it a hardware problem, a software problem, or a configuration problem? How can I debug it further and avoid it from happening again? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Update: I did some more tests and found out that the crash happens even if I run Jellyfin without the torrent running. The media that I was playing needed transcoding. The crash happens sooner if the torrent is also running in another VM. So it seems that the transcoding could be the culprit, but the torrenting also adds to the load. Why would the system crash? I would assume that the VMs will get slower if resources are tight, but not a system-wide crash. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Last edited:
Don't know how to help you but I use Jellyfin with disabled transcoding and I watch using Jellifin player on computer or on phone.

Last edited:
@haldarritam How much RAM did you gave to the jellifin VM?
What CPU is there ?
Did you check the HW status ie: Mem, CPU, HDD, NVME Test? maybe a simple benchmark to the HW to verify if you can load the CPU outside of debian?
Did you upgraded or downgraded the BIOS to see if there is a specific bug which might trigger this?

Thank you so much for your replies! The issue was bad RAM. I ran a memtest on my RAM and that failed. I returned and got new RAM and it all seem to work now without any crash! :)

Reactions: leesteken

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!