Proxmox HA

Jaymie

Oct 5, 2023
Please i kindly need assistance in achieving an HA with my Proxmox environment

Please i kindly need assistance in achieving an HA with my Proxmox environment

Please specifiy your questions, what are your main topics?

So my question is we have 3 sites with proxmox running there. We want to create a cluster with the 3 environment having to manage it from one phase. How can this be achieved?

In general the answer is No.
Proxmox clustering technology requires very low latency network to be stable. Unless you have dark fiber with sub few millisecond latency between the sites, you will not be successful in establishing a stable PVE cluster.

There are some 3rd party solutions that exist to provide a single pane of glass management, and its on a roadmap for PVE but does not exist in the product today.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: LnxBil
Can two be possible, because at the moment we already have 2 sites configured and managed in one phase. So can't third site be added to the cluster?

Can two be possible, because at the moment we already have 2 sites configured and managed in one phase. So can't third site be added to the cluster?
"site" can mean different things to different people. One could have two "sites" in two cabinets located across each other. Or it could be two buildings connected via 100G link, 200 feet apart.
If you provide minimal information in your query, you can only get high level theoretical answers that would be hedged on a side of caution.

What you need to understand is PVE cluster is using TCP/IP for communication. Theoretically you can create a cluster across multiple continents as long as there is TCP/IP routing. It does not mean its a suggested or supported setup.
Even if your latency is very high, you can research Corosync product which PVE uses, and increase the timeouts to extremely high values. Again, its at your own risk and likely not something that PVE developers will agree to support.

Two members is not a supported configuration for Corosync based clusters. You need at least 3.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Yes, can i get a documentation on 3 members setup for Corosync
Just add the host via UI, but be careful if the latency goes to high, unexpected node reboots might happen.

Oh
Cool stuff. Hence, after this reboot do we envision a big concern creating this 3 sites Corosync HA

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!