ProxMox HA cluster - ensure specific VM's run on specific hosts

Aug 30, 2009
London, UK
Hi

I setup a 2 node HA cluster with a shared quorum disk on the SAN thats backing the storage for the HV's (LVM over iSCSI) and its working well!

what i'd like to setup if possible is some rules that:
assuming the cluster is healthy (all host servers online) to make sure specific VM's always run on separate hosts when possible

for example 2 webservers behind a load balancer, they should run on separate hosts so that the website does not go completely offline if a single host goes down

is that possible with PVE HA tools?

i can obviously live migrate VM's manually which is ok but is there some auto system that will ensure that?

thanks for the info, i thought as much but still not sure how i would implement it

i see how i could setup ordered failovers that would make the vm prefer a specific host and failover to specific HV's in a controlled manner and just use different hosts for the different VM's however i dont see any logic for how to keep vm's seperate where possible (about to add a 3rd host node into the cluster) - i think that the vm controller (in this case proxmox)

i see that failover domain support is not yet available via web gui as well - this kind of "keep VM's seperate" logic would be a killer feature to combine with HA in many cases, if you are accepting feature requests :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!