Proxmox HA - 50% nodes online quorum

krzysiexp

Apr 3, 2018
Hi!
I have 4 nodes cluster.
I want to have a quorum when two of them are offline.
I tried setting auto_tie_breaker in corosync.conf and corosync-quorumtool -e 2 but both methods didin't work.
How to configure that?
And another question, why changing corosync.conf after creating cluster with pve-command tools is not safe and how to change config of this service in the right way?
Yes, I know that when cluster is created from 4 nodes you should have at least 3 nodes to quorum.

Sure you will not like to have a 50% quorum. That will give you split brain problems. Split brain will lead to VM's running twice and destroying their images, so don't do it. Don't ever think about a 50% quorum.

you can setup for example a fifth node on a small box just as an quorum node. Even a Raspberry would do for that, as long as you exclude it from HA Groups.

Reactions: krzysiexp
Ok, I understand this.
Is there any way else to have a quorum without additional Proxmox node? For example will fencing with cisco switch do the job?

You need even quorum to use a fence device like a cisco switch quorum.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!