Proxmox HA 3 node, lost of a disk

Audieux

Feb 27, 2024
Hi, it's just an interrogation but, if I have 3 node and add 1 disk to each node and make it in a HA configuration and one disk dies. Do I lose any data (exept the data between the last replication)? Or will I be able to replace the disk like nothing ever happen.

Hi, it's just an interrogation but, if I have 3 node and add 1 disk to each node and make it in a HA configuration and one disk dies. Do I lose any data (exept the data between the last replication)? Or will I be able to replace the disk like nothing ever happen.
HA needs shared storage. Using local disks will not work at all (nothing is replicated).

If you use ZFS (all of my machines do this) you can replicate the virtual disks of a VM to the other two nodes. Replication can automatically run once a day down to once every minute. But not every second. So the "copy" is nearly identical, but not 100%.

In the case that one of these disks fail then all data on that specific disk is lost. But the other two have copies - dated from the the last replication. Now you replace physically the damaged disk (for which you have to follow some steps, just connecting power and SATA is not enough) .

Storage Replication: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvesr.html
Storage Types: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvesm.html#_storage_types

PS: personally I do establish local redundancy via ZFS by establishing mirrors. When one disk dies my VMs do not notice this ;-)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!