Proxmox GUI delay connection after reboot OPNsense VM

Peterkal

Dec 26, 2023
Hello,

I bought firewall device Protectli VP2420, a 4 x 2.5 Gigabit port Firewall appliance... Loaded it with RAM (32GB), SSDs, installed debian 12 and proxmox...

Virtualized OPNsense with PCIe passthrough of 3 NICs to OPNsense VM...

the 4th NIC is connected to switch as proxmox gui / ssh to debian host (IP address is coming from DHCP OPNsense)

I have setup one pihole recursive DNS server with unbound in VM (working great),
second pihole recursive DNS server I have a raspberry pi 2, settings and domain databases are synced via Gravity sync (working great),
Both piholes are High Availability and have 1 IP address if one of them is dead, disconnected or something else for failover (working great),

Everything is working great, it is fast, secure etc... BUT...

After I reboot the Proxmox debian protectli machine, it will normally reboot as usual, OPNsense VM will load after reboot and the GUI is accessible in reasonable time, but the DNS, internet and Proxmox GUI is not accessible in like another 5 or so minutes... after 5 or some minute cca the proxmox GUI is accessible and the internet is working as well...

Debug this issue is tough because I cannot SSH into proxmox after reboot for 5 minute and after that it is working like usual, like nothing would happen...

Can you please give me some advice about this?

I am suspecting that internal Debian network manager to trying to connect, reconnect but the OPNsense VM is not running yet so obviously the OS cannot acquire IP from DHCP and connect to router Opnsense VM because it is not running yet so it is trying to connect later but this is just my conspiracy theory and the true can be totally somewhere else...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!