Proxmox GPU passthrough to LXC driver installation issues.

djgltd

Mar 24, 2024
I am trying to install the drivers for a GPU to pass through to an LXC running Docker and then Frigate, The issue i am running into is that i can't seem for the life of me to be able to install the drivers for the GPU.

I can see the GPU by running LSPCI
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Corporation GK104 [GeForce GTX 760] (rev a1)

I have downloaded the drivers from NVIDIA which is NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-319.32.run

I have then tried running it just as
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-319.32.run
and then also as the below further to another post i have read
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-319.32.run --kernel-source-path /usr/src/linux-headers-6.5.13-3-pve

It runs and asks me to accept the license agreement but then near enough instantly fails.
However no matter what i research and try i can't seem to get past the below error message.

Accept? (Type "Accept" to accept, or anything else to abort): accept
License accepted.
Installing NVIDIA driver version 319.32.
Performing CC sanity check with CC="cc".
Using the kernel source path '/usr/src/linux-headers-6.5.13-3-pve' as specified by the '--kernel-source-path' commandline option.
Kernel source path: '/usr/src/linux-headers-6.5.13-3-pve'
Kernel output path: '/usr/src/linux-headers-6.5.13-3-pve'

ERROR: If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure
you either have configured kernel sources matching your
kernel or the correct set of kernel headers installed
on your system.

If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure
you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel
installed on your system. If you specified a separate
output directory using either the "KBUILD_OUTPUT" or
the "O" KBUILD parameter, make sure to specify this
directory with the SYSOUT environment variable or with
the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.

Depending on where and how the kernel sources (or the
kernel headers) were installed, you may need to specify
their location with the SYSSRC environment variable or
the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.

ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available
on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

This is a personal project that I am just toying with at the moment so as much as the GPU is end of life i just want to play so not interested in buying a newer version.... YET

Last edited:
Running Docker inside a LXC tends to cause problems: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#chapter_pct
Because you are using an LXC, you need to Install the proprietary NVidia driver on the Proxmox host, which is also often problematic (and you might need to run an old kernel version that is supported by NVidia).
Please contact NVidia for support (as Proxmox cannot support their closed-source driver) or run a VM with specific a Linux version that is supported by NVidia.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!