Proxmox does not work on brand new Intel NUC12WSKI5

FPL

Jan 4, 2024
Hi everyone i bought a brand new NUC12WSKI5 and i was surprised that Proxmox did not want to install on it.
The strange thing was that i did finaly get it working on an external SSD but thats not the way i want it as soon as i install the SSD back in to the system it starts. but does not get an IP adres anymore. i can not ping network nor otherway around. So i was thinking why not leave the SSD outside the system and use it like that until there is a further developed version whith the right drivers for everything. When i moved it to the place i want to install it, it lost its IP again. The strange thing is when i your XCP-ng it works flawless but i want to use proxmox. does anyone have installed it flawlesly on internal SSD on a Intel NUC12WSKi5 fully working. The system has the config below.

The specs are

INTEL NUC 12 PRO NUC12WSKI5 WITH 16 GB RAM AND 500 GB SSD​

SSD IS VERY FAST PCI 4.0

ESSENTIALS​

Internal Drive Form Factor
M.2 and 2.5" Drive
# of Internal Drives Supported 3
TDP 35 W
DC Input Voltage Supported 12-20 VDC
Processor Included
Intel® Core™ i5-1240P Processor (12M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz)
Total Cores 12
Total Threads 16
Max Turbo Frequency 4.40 GHz

MEMORY & STORAGE​

Memory Size 64 GB
Memory Types DDR4-3200 1.2V SODIMMs
Max # of Memory Channels 2
Max # of DIMMs 2
ECC Memory Supported No

PROCESSOR GRAPHICS​

Integrated Graphics Yes
Graphics Output Dual HDMI 2.0b w/HDMI CEC, Dual DP 1.4a via Type C
# of Displays Supported ‡4

EXPANSION OPTIONS​

PCI Express Revision Gen 4 (m.2 22x80 slot); Gen 3 (otherwise)
PCI Express Configurations ‡
PCIe x4 Gen 4: M.2 22x80 (key M)
PCIe x1 Gen 3: M.2 22x42 (key B)
PCIe x1: M.2 22x30 (key E)
M.2 Card Slot (wireless 22x30 (E)
M.2 Card Slot (storage) 22x80 NVMe (M); 22x42 SATA (B)
Did put in 2Tb storage

I/O SPECIFICATIONS​

# of USB Ports 4
USB Configuration
Front: 2x USB 3.2
Rear: 2x USB 4 (type C), 1x USB 3.2, 1x USB 2.0
Internal: 1x USB 3.2 on m.2 22x42 (pins), 2x USB 2.0 (headers)
Total # of SATA Ports 1
Serial Port via Internal Header No
Audio (back channel + front channel)
Front panel: 3.5mm headphone/mic jack
Integrated LAN Intel® Ethernet Controller i225-V
Integrated Wireless‡ Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX211(Gig+)
Integrated Bluetooth Yes
Additional Headers Front_panel (PWR, RST, 5V, 5Vsby, 3.3Vsby); Internal 2x2 power connector
# of Thunderbolt™ Ports 2x Thunderbolt™ 4

PACKAGE SPECIFICATIONS​

Chassis Dimensions
117 x 112 x 54 [mm] (LxWxH)

ADVANCED TECHNOLOGIES​

Intel® Optane™ Memory Supported No
Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) Yes
Intel® ME Firmware Version 16
Intel® HD Audio Technology Yes
Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) ‡ Yes
Intel® Platform Trust Technology (Intel® PTT) Yes

Hey,

without further details on what happened when you tried to install Proxmox with the ssd already installed, I can't say what happened there.
What I can explain though, is what happened to the network.
While installing, Proxmox sets a static network configuration, that relies on the device name of your network device. The problem starts, when anything regarding PCI devices changes, because that can also change the name that the network device gets [0]. For example, I recently installed a sata hba card in my homeserver and the network wouldn't come up, because the device that is referenced in the network config doesn't exist anymore.
To fix it, you can check your current network adapter name with ip link show, it should start with enp or eno and then some numbers. Compare this with what is configured in /etc/network/interfaces and adjust accordingly. With systemctl restart networking you should be able to reload the network config, or you can just reboot the system.
If you want to prevent similar things in the feature, you can take a look at the methods to define a static name for your network interface in the debian wiki [0].

[0] https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkInterfaceNames

Ty for responding this quick, i did what your told me and this is what i could made off it, it is stil not working but i am learning a lot and am very happy whith your help on ip link show i did get next configuration

Network info.jpg
afther that i did do my best to change the network in to this and i think that is stil wrong becouse it is not working
Afther edit.jpg
enp85s0 is the network card that should be up and running it was on wlo1 the same text i did remove that but stil is not working. I hope you can help.

afther that i did do my best to change the network in to this and i think that is stil wrong becouse it is not working
View attachment 61884
enp85s0 is the network card that should be up and running it was on wlo1 the same text i did remove that but stil is not working. I hope you can help.
Your bridge configuration looks "inverted" compared to the example in the manual (like you mixed up vmbr0 and enp85s0). Don't add vmr0 as a bridge-ports for enp85s0, it's the other way around : https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_default_configuration_using_a_bridge

Afther some playing whith the settings i aranged to make it work it was inverted as leesteken said and the hardware configuration mentioned by Folke was changed so i did put it all in order and afther that it all worked. Thank you both for the help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!