Proxmox does not detect all 4 NVMEs on my asus hyper m.2

shmoogleosukami

Dec 19, 2023
I have a asus Z9PE-D8-WS which I recently installed a Asus hyper m.2 into to get myself some high speed(ish) storage.

Problem I'm having is Proxmox only detects the first drive out of 4. As far as I can tell, PCI-E bifurcation is enabled and set up as 4x4x4x4 on the required slot, The bios appears to detect that there are 4 ports populated on the device.

Is there any further config required in proxmox for it to detect them? I've done much searching on the internet to only find mostly stuff about pass through difficulties and people often forgetting to enable bifurcation.

EDIT: It appears my bios is not retaining my bifurcation settings on reboot for reasons....

Last edited:
Sounds like your bifurication isn't working. Is that PCIe slot maybe sharing PCIe lanes with other PCIe slots that are already in use so that 16x slot can'T make use of more than 4 PCIe lanes?

Sounds like your bifurication isn't working. Is that PCIe slot maybe sharing PCIe lanes with other PCIe slots that are already in use so that 16x slot can'T make use of more than 4 PCIe lanes?
It appears my bios is not retaining the settings on reboot, or rather it's setting it back to x16. I have a GPU installed also but it is running on PCIe slot 5 which runs on the other CPU.
My nvmes are in slot 3, due to it physically touching the cpu cooler in slot 1. Slot 1 is empty.

Last edited:
It appears my bios is not retaining the settings on reboot, or rather it's setting it back to x16. I have a GPU installed also but it is running on PCIe slot 5 which runs on the other CPU.
My nvmes are in slot 3, due to it physically touching the cpu cooler in slot 1. Slot 1 is empty.
Unfortunately I can not provide a solution to the issue I have with my bios not keeping 4x4x4x4 settings on the bifurcation setting for the top 4 PCIE slots.

I have however gotten all my drives to be detected by simply moving the hyper m.2 to PCIE slot 5 in 4x4x4x4 mode and moved my GPU back to slot 1 in x16 mode.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!