proxmox crashes

jhmc93

Feb 22, 2022
Hello for some reason my proxmox keeps disconnecting from the internet i'll be using a vm or uploading and boom network error, so i connected a monitor and this came up in the terminal screen:
1695682204671.png

were you uploading to a cephFS volume by any chance?
if so what kernel are you running?

were you uploading to a cephFS volume by any chance?
if so what kernel are you running?
Cephfs? I was uploading to my local disk on the local storage on the proxmox gui, I’m using all the latest stuff as it’s a new install with proxmox 8.0.4

Thanks, I had hard crashes recently uploading to cephfs volume while running a later linux kernel, your issue is not that.

Without seeing the top of that crash report not sure it's possible to even guess what the issue is. Does the same happen on all your cluster nodes?

Last edited:
Thanks, I had hard crashes recently uploading to cephfs volume while running a later linux kernel, your issue is not that.

Without seeing the top of that crash report not sure it's possible to even guess what the issue is. Does the same happen on all your cluster nodes?
this is a test pc so its only running on one machine at the moment, i did apt update and apt upgrade and made sure everything was up to date. it was and i tried uploading to the local volume again. Can you tell me how i get a log of the crashes as it has crashed again.

Can you tell me how i get a log of the crashes as it has crashed again.
i haven't figured that out (or rather i know it may need kdump and or setting up serial connection to redirect stderr to - but how is another matter) - when it panics can you take a picture of the top of the screen - that's the first place to start, you cut off the top of the screen... and you uploaded with wrong rotation too...

Last edited:
i haven't figured that out (or rather i know it may need kdump and or setting up serial connection to redirect stderr to - but how is another matter) - when it panics can you take a picture of the top of the screen - that's the first place to start, you cut off the top of the screen... and you uploaded with wrong rotation too...
I’ll send it later, when I’ve got the chance, thanks

unfortunately i think it's a net problem as per syslog:

1695809525334.png

if i'm right i'am not sure whats kicking it off

I don't think we can conclude what your seeing there has anything to do with the crash. I can't see the time stamps on the left. Also dmesg is where you need to be looking.

i don't think that has much do to do with your crash

those messages are perfectly normal

so are the postfix messages unless they are happening with high frequency - for example i have lot of the same messages back on the 23rd

the last entries on the initial screenshot say 'tg3' i believe thats a broadcom nic module - if so maybe you network driver was the issue?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Network_configuration/Ethernet

tl;dr if you have seen no more crashes and you see no explicit errors in dmesg - move on and put it down to one of those things

i don't think that has much do to do with your crash

those messages are perfectly normal

so are the postfix messages unless they are happening with high frequency - for example i have lot of the same messages back on the 23rd

the last entries on the initial screenshot say 'tg3' i believe thats a broadcom nic module - if so maybe you network driver was the issue?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Network_configuration/Ethernet

tl;dr if you have seen no more crashes and you see no explicit errors in dmesg - move on and put it down to one of those things
All I know is everytime I turn it on start a vm or upload a iso it disconnects from my internet, I know it using a IP that’s not in use somewhere else, I think it must be a network driver issue because as soon as I run systemctl restart networking it returns to normal

All my network settings are pretty much default
Yes, that would be true, but it would allow people to understand better what they are looking at. While the defaults are present, as you have indicated, we don't know all of the interfaces and how they have been configured; it helps us help you.

Yes, that would be true, but it would allow people to understand better what they are looking at. While the defaults are present, as you have indicated, we don't know all of the interfaces and how they have been configured; it helps us help you.
So what do u want a screenshot of the network page in gui?

Attachments

• Screenshot-1.png
    Screenshot-1.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot-2.png
    Screenshot-2.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot-3.png
    Screenshot-3.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 3
Okay, jump to the section "Setting the Speed and Duplex" in the following doc:
https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration

First, test the negotiated speeds as indicated, then try setting a lower speed manually, like 100Mbps. See if it improves the situation; this is only as a test.

Do you have a different ethernet cable and switch you can test? [This is one of those problems where you'll have to work through everything, just in case. Faulty cables can be a true nightmare.]

If you can add a network card, for testing purposes, you'll be able to see if the machine suddenly behaves when a VM is spun up.

With all the above, it's a case of establishing if there is some kind of negotiation issue with the driver/NIC, and also if it is the NIC at all; using a different network card should nail that down.

Okay, jump to the section "Setting the Speed and Duplex" in the following doc:
https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration

First, test the negotiated speeds as indicated, then try setting a lower speed manually, like 100Mbps. See if it improves the situation; this is only as a test.

Do you have a different ethernet cable and switch you can test? [This is one of those problems where you'll have to work through everything, just in case. Faulty cables can be a true nightmare.]

If you can add a network card, for testing purposes, you'll be able to see if the machine suddenly behaves when a VM is spun up.

With all the above, it's a case of establishing if there is some kind of negotiation issue with the driver/NIC, and also if it is the NIC at all; using a different network card should nail that down.
the only way I can add another Network interface is through usb 3.0 port as it's one of these machines:

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 3

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!