PROXMOX crash when VM Windows is run

G

guillaume.robier

Clear message : http://s460547784.onlinehome.fr/share/PB1.pdf
Hello,

Student and passionate computer I start with Proxmox and I find myself confronted with some problems:
-My Linux VM work perfectly.
But when I create a Windows VM as am, after 5 minutes followed by the launch of the Vm (by booting the iso install Win 2008 R2) the Proxmox server is unreachable, all VMs are shut down and does not respond to ping.
Windows VM configuration:
boot: dcn
bootdisk: sata0
cores: 2
ide2: local2:iso/Server.2008.R2.SP1.FR.v666.5_x64.iso,media=cdrom
memory: 8192
name: WINDOWS-1
net0: rtl8139=26:BE:03:D7:E2:17,bridge=vmbr0
ostype: win7
sata0: local:104/vm-104-disk-1.vmdk,format=vmdk,size=40G
sockets: 4

Here I use VMDK but if I use QEMU does not work either.

Pveversion :
pve-manager/3.1-24/060bd5a6 (running kernel: 2.6.32-26-pve)
Pveversion –v :
lvm2: 2.02.98-pve4
clvm: 2.02.98-pve4
corosync-pve: 1.4.5-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-3
libqb0: 0.11.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.2.0-2
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-4
fence-agents-pve: 4.0.5-1
pve-cluster: 3.0-12
qemu-server: 3.1-15
pve-firmware: 1.1-2
libpve-common-perl: 3.0-13
libpve-access-control: 3.0-11
libpve-storage-perl: 3.0-19
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.4-3
vncterm: 1.1-6
vzctl: 4.0-1pve4
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.1-2
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.7-4
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1
glusterfs-client: 3.4.2-1

Server config :
HP ProLiant DL585 G2 Rackmount Server :
4 x AMD Opteron Dual Core 3,0 Ghz (8222) - 2 Mo de cache L2 (par CPU) - 64-Bit - AMD-V (virtualisation)

32 Go DDR2 667 MHz ECC RAM
8 x 2,5 "SAS / SATA Baies de disque dur

• RAID 0 sur 2 x SSD 256 (images VM):
http://www.materiel.net/ssd/sandisk-ultra-plus-7-mm-256-go-88906.html

• HDD 1To (backups et iso’s)
http://www.materiel.net/disque-dur-...-digital-wd-red-2-5-s-ata-iii-1-to-95380.html
HP Smart Array P400 PCIe SAS / SATA RAID Controller
Double alimentation / redondante
DVD-ROM

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, I could never imagine I could see, one day, a forum post in PDF format... and no images, just text!
to improve efficiency, you could handwrite on paper all text, using a yellow hilighter pen, than scan it and upload as XPS, that would really help others help you...

Marco

wow, I could never imagine I could see, one day, a forum post in PDF format... and no images, just text!
to improve efficiency, you could handwrite on paper all text, using a yellow hilighter pen, than scan it and upload as XPS, that would really help others help you...

Marco
yes, you are right marco, when writing my post I was on a computer that did not allow me to return to the line (in the post). Here it is arranged.

yes, you are right marco, when writing my post I was on a computer that did not allow me to return to the line (in the post). Here it is arranged.

no, not yet. I see no other text...

Weird, I heard that using the forum through https sometime screws carriage returns (don't know why), try http in case.
Or, try also using
Code:
wrapper

Marco

I've had issues in the past with AMD processors and Windows VM's. They never shut my system down, but they were inoperable and caused endless boots on my VM.

Try using different processors for the Windows VM CPU type.

Also, I don't think your storage type will cause this type of issue.
Another thing to check is your BIOS settings. I remember having to load default, then reenable the virtualization with no other changes. I think I finally found that ACPI 3.0 was my issue, but that may not be the case for you.

I've had issues in the past with AMD processors and Windows VM's. They never shut my system down, but they were inoperable and caused endless boots on my VM. Try using different processors for the Windows VM CPU type. Also, I don't think your storage type will cause this type of issue. Another thing to check is your BIOS settings. I remember having to load default, then reenable the virtualization with no other changes. I think I finally found that ACPI 3.0 was my issue, but that may not be the case for you.
Thank you very much I was beginning to despair because I buy this server and the SSD with my savings, I'll check what you just pointed out to me, I will do the test and I tell you its in a few days.

I figured as much when you said "Nobody?"
So I thought, it's best if I put something...hey, we may even come up with a solution. Just know that a lot of the guys on here don't use AMD and Windows. You have some that do, but the majority don't use AMD, and the number of don't's increase with using Windows.
I use Windows fairly regularly, but after the incident I described, I stick with Intel as far as virtualization.
I would start with the BIOS change, because that was a big deal for me. I know there is Virtualization option, but there is another option in the BIOS regarding passthrough for Virtualization. I would start small, and from default change only the standard VT-x option.

Hi, I'm running windows guest of quad opteron hosts (4x16cores), withouth any problem.
I'm running dell servers, only optimizations i'm doing, is turning off C1E option in bios, and setup performance to maximum (this disable dynamic cpu clock,frequency)

They are no reason that boot a guest , crash other guests. (Or maybe you have an hardware problem, maybe bad memory module for example)

thank you for your answer the problem was indeed the C1E option in the bios

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!