Proxmox cluster shutdown by APC over USB

r0PVEMox

Jun 21, 2020
Case: Proxmox cluster with three nodes, connected to a powerblock. The powerblock is then connected to the APC.
APC: connected with USB to one node.

I wonder what would be a decent solutions, in order to gracefully shut down VMs and nodes, when a blackout happen, and the battery starts to run low. Since the nodes are not seperately communicating with the APC, I wonder how others resolve that issue. The APC does not have a management card connected.
  1. For now the APC is managable by the PowerChut Business Edition, running on a VM. The VM has the USB-device available. I wonder if some people write scripts, in order to communicate over CLI to Proxmox, to then do the job?
  2. Use apcupsd.
It might not be rocket scrience, but I'm still curious how people deal with this situation.

I wonder how others resolve that issue
I run my servers in the datacenter :)

The APC does not have a management card connected.
I would recommend installing one and then using these instructions: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-and-ups-best-practice.123241/#post-536520

If you have multiple nodes, all nodes should be able to receive the signal. The best way to do this is via SNMP. Alternatively, take a Raspberry Pi (or something else small) and connect the UPS there via cable and then use it as a master server.

With a UPS, however, it is crucial that there is enough energy to take over the server and then shut it down in a controlled manner. It should be borne in mind that a server with a redundant power supply divides the load between both or even only one of them is loaded (e.g. Dell can set this). With an RPS, the fact is that the total energy consumption counts, not just the load of a power supply. Therefore, in the event of a power failure, the server will place the entire load on the remaining power supply.

If you have Windows VMs running, you should always keep in mind that they tend to install updates when they are switched off and that the shutdown can therefore hang for a longer time.

My Synology NAS at home is connected directly via USB and shuts down after a 10-minute power outage. The router has its own small UPS and the switch is connected to the workstations and the NAS on the 1500 VA system.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!