Proxmox Cluster - Sharing drives between nodes for TrueNAS

JackValadez

Jan 9, 2023
New Proxmox user here. I have a Proxmox Node (call it Node 1) that has numerous hard drive bays and just added another node from an older Optiplex 7010 SFF with 4 cores, 32GB RAM and is very limited on the number of drives I can install (call it Node 2). Currently I have TrueNAS installed on Node 1 and everything is working great, but since I have expanded my storage to 3 storage pools across 6 drives-44TB (RAID1 - 22TB) that will grow even more very soon, the RAM may not be adequate for the TruesNAS VM. Since I do not use my TrueNAS storage for important or frequently used data, I wanted to move it to Node 2. I have a Synology NAS for my frequently used shared storage, but would still like to have the TrueNAS for additional storage and for learning/tinkering purposes.

My question is, could I have the TrueNAS on Node2, but utilize drives from Node1 over the network. Again, I do not need anything real fast for the TrueNAS and if it ends up being slow, I will just go back to the original setup or other recommended solution. Would I need to create a VM (Ubuntu Server, etc) and share the drives through the VM, or could I share them directly in the Proxmox VE by setting up a ZFS pool or something else and sharing with Node 2? I would like to use Node 1 for other VM's that would benefit from the resources that could become available by moving the TrueNas.

If its possibly to share the drives directly, I would apprciate help on how to do it. Please feel free to provide better no/low cost solutions as well. Thank you in advance.

You could create a local filesystem on the drives in node 1, export it via NFS und mount the NFS share on node 2 as storage for Proxmox.
Would that require me to pass the drives through a Ubuntu server/turnkey file server on a container/VM or can this be done through the Proxmox environment?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!