Proxmox Ceph Cluster Configuration

alangv

Jan 20, 2020
Hi all,
I read a lot of documentation about Proxmox Ceph Cluster but I can't figure out the best solution for my case.
I would like to configure a little 3 node cluster using Proxmox and Ceph with the ability of add in the future more nodes (so more CPU and RAM to the cluster) if needed or more Storage (so more TB for File Storage).

Reading the documentation seems that is better to have similar SSD or HDD on each node, so I can start with 1 SSD for the system (128 GB) and 1 SSD for data (2 TB).

Now I have 2 question:
If I need more Storage Volume I need to add another 2 TB SSD on each node (6 TB) to add only 2 TB ? And If I have 10 nodes I need to add 2 SSD on each node (20 TB) to add 2 TB to the cluster? And what id I have 100 nodes? It seems a little bit redundant!

It is a good practice in proxmox ceph cluster to have an external shared storage like a NAS or similar that can be easily scalable and can use RAID (5, 6, 10) ? There are some cons?

Which is the best configuration recommended?

if you are on replication 3, each data is copied 3 times + some overhead
for each 1 TB of RAW data you will get approx 300MB usable data
adding 10 hdds of 2TB Each will give you approx 6TB usable data

Ah ok, so during the configuration of CEPH I need to set the number of replicas (3 recommended) then I can calculate the space that approximately is:

( Number of nodes * HDD/SSD capacity ) / Number of replicas

Anyway is a good idea setting up a shared storage or is not really useful?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ah ok, so during the configuration of CEPH I need to set the number of replicas (3 recommended) then I can calculate the space that approximately is:

( Number of nodes * HDD/SSD capacity ) / Number of replicas

Anyway is a good idea setting up a shared storage or is not really useful?

Thanks!
yes but also take approx 10% of the total value (for journaling and such)

we moved to ceph from freenass (was good but it is limited in performance and capacity as single node.), and we are mainly need to as READ to provide enoth data to our claster, so ceph was ideal, i am still figuring out some stuff regarding it(not as strait forward as nfs ) but it worth the effort (i hope )

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!