Proxmox Backup Setup

pos-sudo

Jun 13, 2021
Hello,

We currently hosting several Proxmox VE hosts in our datacenter all on Enterprise SSD's. What we want to achieve is to setup another bare-metal server with Proxmox PBS installation and an direct connect with an 1gbit cable between the Proxmox VE servers and the Proxmox Backup Server. I was wondering if this could work (I think so) and if we need also Enterprise SSD's for the backup server?

I would like to hear from you ;)

bare-metal server with Proxmox PBS installation and an direct connect with an 1gbit cable between the Proxmox VE servers and the Proxmox Backup Server. I was wondering if this could work (I think so) and if we need also Enterprise SSD's for the backup server?
Yes you should also use only enterprise SSDs for the backup server too. However, if you only use a 1Gbit/s connection between the Proxmox VE hosts and the Proxmox Backup Server, then that may become a bottleneck. Depending on your requirements this may mean that your backups will take longer then they should.

Yes you should also use only enterprise SSDs for the backup server too. However, if you only use a 1Gbit/s connection between the Proxmox VE hosts and the Proxmox Backup Server, then that may become a bottleneck. Depending on your requirements this may mean that your backups will take longer then they should.
Thank you for the quick response! What do you prefer a 10gbit local connection?

Thank you for the quick response! What do you prefer a 10gbit local connection?
That would probably be better, yeah. It really depends on what disks you choose, how many nodes there are in your Proxmox VE cluster and how often you want to create backups.

That would probably be better, yeah. It really depends on what disks you choose, how many nodes there are in your Proxmox VE cluster and how often you want to create backups.

There is no cluster only several hosts independent from each other ;)

What we would achieve is to fast backup all VM's with incremental backups in case of an disaster recovery of all vms needed. If we use let's say PM883 or PM893 SATA SSD Enterprise Grade and 1Gbit direct connection between servers would this be fast. We are now creating backups to an external HDD so I think that this way should be faster ;)

There is no cluster only several hosts independent from each other ;)
Well alright, doesn't make a difference in this case ;)

What we would achieve is to fast backup all VM's with incremental backups in case of an disaster recovery of all vms needed. If we use let's say PM883 or PM893 SATA SSD Enterprise Grade and 1Gbit direct connection between servers would this be fast. We are now creating backups to an external HDD so I think that this way should be faster ;)
Yes it will be faster than whatever HDD-based solution you are using right now. If you are currently using VZDump and are fine with its performance, this should probably work for you.

Well alright, doesn't make a difference in this case ;)

Yes it will be faster than whatever HDD-based solution you are using right now. If you are currently using VZDump and are fine with its performance, this should probably work for you.

Yes thank you very much for the quick answer! We are vary satisfied with the VZDump solution ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!