[SOLVED] Proxmox Backup Server stops responding

MyastanPatrin

May 2, 2022
Hello all, I’m planning on having a backup system for my home PVE with a local PBS and a off-site PBS over a VPN.

But sometimes both stop responding (not at the same time) is there any way I can try and find the reason? Heat? Resources exhausted?

Thanks in advance!

what exactly do you mean with 'stop responding' can you access them by any means (e.g. a local console/ssh/etc)
did you already check the syslog/journal (e.g. with 'journalctl') ?

what exactly do you mean with 'stop responding' can you access them by any means (e.g. a local console/ssh/etc)
did you already check the syslog/journal (e.g. with 'journalctl') ?
Hello! Thanks for your quick response!

No SSH is available, the fans are working but the machine seems inaccessible.
I did not had a look into journalctl yet. Anything special i should look into?

Thanks again!

Also have a look at the IO delay graphs. If the PVE/PBS installation shares the disk with the guests/datastore and you use some cheap storage like SMR HDDs, then the workload can increase the IO delay that high that PVE/PBS isn't responding anymore because it has to wait for the disks too.

Also have a look at the IO delay graphs. If the PVE/PBS installation shares the disk with the guests/datastore and you use some cheap storage like SMR HDDs, then the workload can increase the IO delay that high that PVE/PBS isn't responding anymore because it has to wait for the disks too.
I can confirm that PBS use the same disk as the datastore. I'm using a mac mini. If IO delay is the cause, Is it possible that using traffic control resolves this issue?

So what do your IO delay graphs display when the hosts are under heavy load? you should have a look at that graph right after the webUI is working again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!