[SOLVED] proxmox-backup-client restore disk size

mdub77

Jan 31, 2023
Hi,

If in PBS I backed up a VM which has a disk of 500Gb of which only 200 is used (the disk was created with the discard option), and then I use from PVE the command
Code:
proxmox-backup-client restore
to restore the single disk.

Would it copy a full 500Gb disk or just a 200Gb one?

the restored output should be an identical copy of the backed up disk, so it will of course be 500GB in size (with lots of holes/zeroes ;))

the restored output should be an identical copy of the backed up disk, so it will of course be 500GB in size (with lots of holes/zeroes ;))
So it would take the same time to restore as if it was a fully used 500Gb disk ?

no, since the empty part doesn't need to be really transferred from the backup server (and depending on the restore target, might not actually be "written" either).

I'm using the command
Code:
proxmox-backup-client restore
to output the disk to a .raw file (I didn't find how to restore directly to a zvol since I'm on a ZFS pool and the original disk was a zvol). In that case, it should only write a 200G raw file, correct?

like I said - the file will have a logical size of 500GB, but only 200GB of data. whether the space usage is 500GB (full/thick) or 200GB (sparse/thin/..) depends on the storage/filesystem/.. . on ZFS, if you don't have compression disabled, any all-zero records will not take up any space, no matter how they are written.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!