[SOLVED] proxmox-backup-client --exclude question

RobFantini

Famous Member
May 24, 2012
Boston,Mass
Hello
i am trying to get -exclude to work. we do not want to put a .pxarexclude at each system
Code:
proxmox-backup-client  backup etc.pxar:/etc home.pxar:/home  --exclude home/*/.cache:home/*/.thunderbird/*/ImapMail

I've tried a few different ways over the last hour. each time i see:

Code:
warning: file size increased while reading: "rob/.cache/mozilla/firefox/ao09tv0u.default/cache2/entries/B1D563F6593E2B8F586E94EDE65064D9CCAD261F", file will be truncated!
warning: file size increased while reading: "rob/.cache/mozilla/firefox/ao09tv0u.default/cache2/entries/FE61B05C7F57DB27343C14638C94C1DFD2AAC934", file will be truncated!

I would like to do something like the following to exclude any cache folders/files:
Code:
 --exclude *.cache*:*Cache*:*ImapMail*

any suggestions ? thanks

Hi,
separating patterns with a colon doesn't works (it will be treated as part of the pattern). Use the following instead:
Code:
--exclude <pattern1> --exclude <pattern2>

Also note that if you do not start the pattern with a slash, it will match in any sub-directory, e.g. home/.cache will also match other/dir/home/.cache while /home/.cache will only match itself (both relative to the archive's root).

Reactions: RobFantini
thank you Fabain.

this is what worked in our case:
Code:
proxmox-backup-client  backup etc.pxar:/etc home.pxar:/home  -exclude */.cache/  -exclude */Downloads/ -exclude */.thunderbird/*/ImapMail 2>&1

Reactions: Shaaarnir

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!